Chapter 09: It Does Not Fall Too Far.

██████████████████

Hushed whispers surrounded the hallways, small steps and precise movement. One, two, one then two. Eyes calm yet ears are strained. It takes a few more seconds until it's done the same thing again. How long has it been since the eldest's departure?

Bassen swivels his direction, blocking out the nasty misinterpretations of these so-called servants of his brother's disappearance. All of these condemning words to say were disgraceful and a shame to the Henituse harmonious act.

The line of such rumour and certainty were only made due to the workers' dedication of their work. But, there's also some inefficiency in there handling of work.

For example, the treatment towards his older brother. It's practically out in the open that they don't even hide their dislike, such a shame that walls have ears. People seem to forget that old saying.

Bassen has heard of a few things, might've seen a few evidences but he almost caught them in a situation among discussions through eyes and actions.

Poisons, foods that are barely even healthy--if the second chef wasn't assigned and was currently doing another expedition sent out, fucking assassination attempts that he could hardly even stand up on his own feet. Luckily, the head butler was qualified lots to get rid of those cretins. How dare they do that to a member of the Henituse Household!? And to the legitimate heir!?

Gripping the book's leathery cover in a skirmish manner with his raging emotions barely constricted, Bassen glowered as he moved away lightly from the wall.

If the Eldest wanted him so bad to be the Count, then he might as well do it; just in his own way. He needs to get power and clear out rats first, then maybe, ask his Hyung-nim to come back. He'll come back with a better environment, a safer one.

As the young second master of the Henituse, Bassen has resolved his goal and left to the Count's office, presumably invited due to the disappearance of Cale for almost two or three and a half weeks, at best.

Almost a month, Bassen bitterly stares at all of the tense family members except for Lily, who was acting like the naive child everyone assumes her to be. It took his father and everyone in the fucking area to realise that he was missing after three and a half weeks, just because one mentioned that the mansion was eerily quiet.

So what if it was eerily quiet?

What difference does that make?

If anything, the only lousy and noisy he hears is their ungrateful mouths. They should feel glad that Cale isn't even that mad at them, how accepting he fucking is, they should feel great because his brother could've done way worse than a few old tantrums. They should feel sorry and regretful for themselves for being so judgemental that they think they know someone than that someone themselves.

He hates that his older brother has expected this of them, hates that he knew just how much people don't care about him, hates how he could have also added him in that category.

If he also didn't know better, then maybe, he would've been standing with them, tense and heartbroken at the damn news.

He hates being young, he hates getting babied. Maybe if he looked a bit more mature in certain aspects, maybe if he tried to see the way his brother looked at the world. Then maybe, maybe it wouldn't have been so bad to just stick closer, get attached and knew how hard it was. Maybe, he could've tried and did those things to get him to stay. But Bassen is a coward, he has no backbone, he's a loser and a dim-witted fool who is too young to see the world.