Chapter 12: Too Early?

████████████████████

A sigh left the older redhead's lips as he crouched down to Rye's level with a frown. There was a slight smudge of drool from his chin, his hair-having grown day by day was messy and the child's unperturbed mischief when nobody's looking; Cale Henituse scratched his hair in confounded silence.

"Who gave you the keys? I'm pretty sure I told Freesia to put it somewhere high enough...?"

Rye seems to flinch at his assertion, Cale pursed his lips and looked at his son with an exasperated sigh: "Rye, please give this father some rest. If you wanted gold, just say so instead of endangering yourself. Freesia said you were sleeping, but here, I found out you have been playing. She already left considering she has a shop of her own."

The young man places his hand to cup the child's cheeks with care. "I don't know what I would do if I suddenly found my son hurt and crying." Oh no, Cale knows what he would do. He would probably just destroy the thing that hurted his son. The floor? Replace it. The table? Make a cushion custom. People? Burn them alive. Air? Debatable.

"Awu... aw-uwuu ayuu..." Rye mumbles, and snaking his short chubby arms around his father's arms with a pout. "Awuppppp-!"

Ah, of course. The request of a lift, a small thing that is now daily in the life of Cale Henituse who was supposed to play as a trash. The seventeen year-old laughs in disbelief, however still picks up the other in a swift motion.

"You're so spoilt..." Cale mused, a fond expression on his eyes as he pressed his lips on Rye's forehead. "My baby boy... too spoilt. Usually, babies your age would get off from their parent's arms to explore and seek trouble." His words might've disgusted the young'un as Rye expressed evident disgust with his tongue stuck out.

"Ouhh, awaaa! Aw, auhmm au wuaa!" Rye communicated with a well frown then a thoughtful look. He seems to be proving the point of something which Cale likes to indulge at.

Cale nods his head seriously, "Mhm. I'll totally believe you."

Rye looked stricken: You totally don't!

"Naauuu!!"

"Hm, yesssh."

"Ahhh, ap-pa!" The young boy screamed in frustration.

"Hehehahaha!" The red-headed young man crackled silently as he muzzled his nose close to the child's end of his eyelids.

However, their small banter ended shortly when the expression falls on Cale's face as he looked towards the door with a frown. Rye titled his head in confusion before shaking his head, minding his own business.

"Rye, have you ever considered playing hide and seek with Papa?" Cale asks, strangely- his voice drips of off honey and sugar. The question made Rye freeze slightly. Something was wrong. Something is definitely wrong. Why would Cale suddenly ask him while looking towards the door as if there was something lurking around?

"Mmm..."

"Be quiet... Appa's going to find you, okay?" Cale smiles sweetly. Somehow, it feels like he is looking at a rabid dog.

Rye quietly nods yet the grip on the man's shirt says otherwise. It made Cale slightly feel warm but quickly brought the other to a door that was connected by their room. It was a rather convenient decision made by the workers, saying it is made for people who have too much things and made this small storage.

After dropping off the younger and opening the lights, Cale Henituse cracked his neck out of frustration. It wasn't supposed to be like this. It shouldn't even be like this.