six

The Easter holidays came and went in no time at all. Part of me had wanted to take Ruby away for a few days somewhere, but since I was apparently about to break the bank buying a dog for her, I'd tossed the idea in the bin and pretended not to think about it.

She didn't seem to mind. She had so many friends I could never remember the names of that she spent most of the holidays at other people's houses. On one Friday I had let her arrange a sleepover which she seemed to especially enjoy. Geri came over to help with it, and while the girls had the rule of the roost downstairs, we stayed upstairs and shared a bottle of wine and stuck a film on, but kept the door open so we could hear them in case anything happened.

Mum and Dad also offered to have her a few times so I didn't have to worry about arranging childcare. She only came with me to work twice, but she seemed to enjoy herself. She always managed to find a way to entertain.

We were back to Monday morning, and I was having an internal debate whether she'd kick up a fuss over kid's club again or wake me up early like she had done every day the week before the holidays.

When Ruby did inevitably wake me up, I nearly choked at the sight of her fully dressed in her uniform.

"What on Earth?" I laughed, sitting up.

"I want to go now, Mummy!" She squeaked, a delighted smile on her face.

"Rubes, it doesn't even open until half 7, and I don't pay for you to turn up that early."

"Please?"

"No, darlin'." I didn't want to give Lorraine the satisfaction.

Ruby huffed and began to stomp away.

"Excuse me," I called after her, and she stopped at the unimpressed tone of my voice, "come here, please."

She turned to face me with a scowl, marching her way back to me.

I took her hands in mine and made sure she was looking at me before I spoke. "I'm over the moon that you're enjoying that club again, but we don't throw a strop because we can't get what we want, do we?"

"No." She muttered, looking to the floor.

"No, we don't. Now, I can't send you there before 8 o'clock because that's not the arrangement I have with them. I also don't have to - I like our mornings together. So, we are going to go at 8 like we always do, and in the meantime I am going to get ready at a normal pace and you are going to wait for me. Okay?"

"Okay," She said.

"Good girl." I replied, and kissed her hands. "Now, you can go and watch TV if you want while you wait. And if you haven't brushed your teeth I'll be really upset."

My daughter's hands slipped out of my grip, and she trudged her way out of the room. I watched after her as she left, a slight pout to my lips. She was cute and all, but one day she was going to give someone a real run for their money. I just hoped that whoever she did end up with liked a challenge.

I got ready at my usual pace since I was actually in less of a rush than I usually would be. It felt warm again so I dug another t-shirt out of the wardrobe and a pair of black jeans for the journey. I'd only have to cover up with a boiler suit when I got to the garage anyway. I tied my hair up without looking in a mirror, made my way downstairs and pulled my boots on.

Ruby was still eagerly waiting by the door when I got to the foot of the staircase. I giggled at her and stroked my hand over her hair.

Once again I drove her to the school and she spent the entire journey staring out the window. I didn't dare ask her what she was thinking - I didn't want to pull her out of her daydreams like that, as curious as I was to know. As soon as I'd stopped the car in the car park she unclipped her belt and wriggled her way out of the car.