fifteen

I hadn't felt like this for a very long time. The last time I felt even a fraction this happy, and this content, was when I was with Rico. And somehow this was different; this was better.

Harry and I had been drifting in and out of consciousness since we finished. He was laying on his back, one arm behind his head and the other stroking up and down the length of my spine. I was nestled against his side, my head on his chest and my right leg hooked over his. I always knew when he was unconscious because his arm stopped moving and his breath grew heavier; it didn't tickle when he exhaled.

The next time he woke, his hand travelled a little lower, and he began kneading into my bum with no strategy whatsoever.

I looked up at him, my chin resting on his pectoral. He peeled an eye open, his kneading pausing.

"You don't like it?"

"No, I do."

He nodded once and carried on, closing his eyes again.

It was late now. I had no idea what time it was but absolutely nothing could be heard outside - not the wind, not a car, nor a cow. I could barely hear the river, either. It was unusual, even for this sleepy village.

"I owe you an apology, actually."

Harry frowned, opening both eyes now. "For what?"

"You had a blind date a couple of months ago, right?"

His eyes widened. "Yeah... How did you know that?"

I pointed at myself. "Was supposed to be with me."

His brow furrowed furiously, all movements having stopped. I wasn't sure if he was upset or confused.

"I don't understand."

"Well, I turned up, realised Zara had tried to set me up with you, and immediately left."

Harry studied my face for a moment, eyes flicking over me. A smirk was forming on his mouth and it perplexed me. "You stood me up?"

I pressed my lips into a tight, guilty line. "Yeah..."

"That's interesting." He mumbled.

"Why?"

"Because I spent that whole evening in the pub with a different girl."

I pulled back a little. "I beg your pardon?"

He laughed, hand back to gliding over the expanse of my back. "Another girl genuinely turned up claiming to be my date."

My mouth fell. "Who?!"

"I can't remember her name... She was kinda petite, dark hair in a long ponytail, spoke with an inflection at the end of every sentence."

"Spoke with a what?"

"You know when people make their voice go up? At the end of every sentence? So it sounds like they're always asking a question?" He did exactly what he was referring to in his own speech.

I giggled, annoyingly amused by him. "Right okay. I don't know who she is, though."

"Well anyway, as far as I was concerned she was my blind date. I had no idea someone else had already had the audacity to stand me up."

"Sorry." I mumbled, resting my chin back down.

"Why did you leave when you saw it was me?"

"Same reason I've always left. Couldn't face embarrassing myself in front of you."

Harry took a deep breath, and he stroked over my hair with a doughy gaze. "Imagine how much quicker we could've done this if you weren't such a wimp."

I smacked his chest and scowled at him. "Don't be so fucking rude."