nine

"You know, that woman is so delusional sometimes."

I looked at Geri, and then followed her gaze towards Lorraine who was ushering children into the hut for the start of the late kid's club.

I grunted. "I can think of many, many more words than delusional to describe her."

"Does one begin with a 'C' and end in a 'T'?"

"Number one on the list actually."

Geri sniggered. "I thought so."

"She's just rude and entitled and needs a smack round the face."

"Violence is never the answer, Floss." She teased, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"It should be."

We watched as Lorraine made her way over to the car park from the hut, me with a much more unwelcoming demeanour than Geri. She kept her distance from me, as she should, but she made such a big deal out of it, feigning a look of terror in order to gain some sympathy from the other parents. I couldn't tell you what she needed sympathy for, but I'm sure she was going to make it about the little explosion I had the week after Easter.

Debbie rubbed her shoulder as Lorraine passed her by, and everyone kept asking her if she was okay.

"You've got to be joking me." I scoffed.

"You gotta give it to her - she puts on a good show." Geri muttered, still watching her.

"I haven't done anything wrong."

"I know you haven't. She's up to something."

Lorraine made it to her car and rummaged around inside the boot for a moment, but quickly locked it back up. Then she started walking towards us.

"Oh no," Geri said, barely audible.

I squared my shoulders. I didn't know what she wanted but I was ready for whatever nonsense she was about to come out with.

"Florence," She started, holding a piece of paper in her hand. She was facing away from the other parents now, so her expression was completely different from the look of terror she'd been acting on seconds before. "This is your final bill."

My brows furrowed. "What?"

"The final payment you owe me for the morning child care."

I narrowed my gaze. I knew I was all paid up. I paid in advance, not post-term and I always had done. "I don't think so."

She was glaring at me. "I think I know how much you've paid, Florence. And it's not enough."

"Are you seriously trying to embarrass me in front of the other parents?"

"Not at all, it never even crossed my mind." Her voice and her face didn't match.

"Really?" I retorted. "This isn't just a big show to get the other parents on side and make you feel better about yourself?"

"You sound ridiculous, Florence. How else am I supposed to tell you?"

"In an email? Or on the phone, in a text, literally any other way."

"I like to tell people in person." She shrugged.

I snatched the bill from her. "I have paid this and I am going to prove it to you."

"Well, you have until the end of the week."

"I'll do it whenever I fucking like, thank you very much."

The other waiting parents were muttering between one another now. I knew I probably hadn't shown myself in a very good light, but I didn't care. The woman was evil and needed to be knocked down a peg. Or ten.