Chapter 16 - Poisoned Fruit

I awaken collapsed on the stone floor, presumably returned to that tower. My head is lying face down in a pool of blood. I instinctively check my stomach for the wound I received fighting the corrupted shrine maiden, but find only a small rash and a trace of fading magical energy. Standing up, I realize I had broken my nose when I fell unconscious. Though I don't expect to find anyone I still scan my surroundings for the people I was just with. Predictably, I am the only one here. The door I had just attempted to pass through leads to a narrow stairwell. Begrudgingly, I continue forward.

Despite my physical exhaustion, my mind and soul seem to be almost rejuvenated, I feel serene, at peace. Reality might disagree, but I don't feel alone either. The tower, on the other hand, seems to crumble as I ascend up the stairs, deep black shines through cracks in the stonework. Not much is left of the tower now, save for the steps beneath my feet, before long a black void surrounds me as I climb higher and higher (so high).

The steps end and subsequently disappear, there is nothing, nothing but me and the moon. Well at least it appears to be the moon, it seems to be closer than it should be and thus smaller. Furthermore it shines without sunlight, emanating its own rays. A replica, I'd wager.

"You weren't supposed to do that" a presence manifests behind me but remains unseen.

"Hm? Is something wrong?" I respond, speaking into the darkness.

"You don't understand the weight of your actions, you never did, and once again I have to clean up the mess."

"Then that place, it really was..."

"Of course not dipshit, it was an alternate world, a world devoid of you, made specifically to torment you, and yet like a disease you refused to die and spread yourself across it."

"Then what's the iss-"

"Shut up, I'm still talking. You were there, and now you're here, yet you must be there as much as here. That world will no longer function without you, your influence on it was too great."

"It really isn't my fault your plan was so shitty it backfired immediately."

"Hah, it will be alright, you're the one that will suffer because of this. Eventually you'll come back to me, begging for my help. Enjoy your victory while it lasts."

Before I can respond the world around me begins to collapse, the seemingly infinite space closing in on me. The moon-like object disappears into a gap, leaving me in absolute darkness. Once again I close my eyes and await my fate.

My eyes are blinded before they even open, rays of sunlight burn my face without mercy. I quickly reposition myself to shield myself from the light with my body. Finally opening my eyes I once again see myself in a forest. But this time I find no abnormality in it, it is as normal as it could possibly be. I spin around and look into the distance, large concrete buildings fill the skyline. In the very centre of the sky lies the same sun I've been forced to endure for many years now. By all means, this must be the outskirts of the city.

One thing does catch my attention however, something out of place. An unconscious shrine maiden lies in front of me beneath the trees.