Chapter thirty-eight

Even though it's only a couple of my teammates and my sister who are left, the music is still blasting through the stereo when I enter my house

Even though it's only a couple of my teammates and my sister who are left, the music is still blasting through the stereo when I enter my house. They're all gathered around the table playing a game of beer pong and from the looks of it, my sister and Matteo are destroying Finnick and Greyson, a fellow defender. Daniel has long gone to sleep and I wish nothing more than to do the same, however before I can walk upstairs without anyone noticing me, Finnick's voice stops me.

"You're back!" He greets me with a wide smile, slaps his hands against my cheek, and peers at me with lazy eyes indicating the time I was gone involved more than a handful of shots.
"Dipshit, it's my birthday. Why do you look like someone died?"
The blue of his irises is surrounded by red from his alcohol intake which makes me wonder how he's still standing relatively stable on his two feet.

"I'm mourning your liver which is slowly dying. I was thinking about buying flowers for its grave." He swings his arm around my neck and slightly leans on me.

"I must say, that's a pretty fucking good birthday gift."

I glance sideways. "Better than Hernandez's?"

His eyes narrow and the expression makes him appear drunker than he probably is. "What do you know that I don't?"

I laugh as I shake my head. "I already told you, I'm Switzerland. No fucking way that I'm mingling in your war."

He sighs as he drops his gaze to the ground. "Sad." He lifts his head again, a giant smirk dancing on his lips. "It'd be fun to have two targets."

"I see you have regained your confidence in the matter."

He takes a step back and puts his hand on his heart as if he's offended. "As if I ever lost it." He steps in front of me, lays one hand on my shoulder, and starts pointing at me with his index finger just like coach Torrez does when he wants to debrief a tactic one on one. It's his motivational pose. "It's all a mind game. If Hernandez thinks I'm scared, then he thinks he has the upper hand, when in fact, he has not." He moves backward as he claps his hands before spreading his arms as if to say 'tadaa'.

I questionably raise my eyebrows. "Do you believe that?"

"I absolutely do." He swings his arm back around my neck and slaps his hand on my chest as he scans the room. "Now let's make sure you have a reason to mourn and let's do some shots."

"Thanks for the offer but next time. I'm not in the mood, man." He squishes my cheeks together with his free hand and forcefully turns my head toward him. A deep frown is covering his face as he inspects me making it seem he's trying to dissect my soul with only one look.

"Are you okay, dipshit?" His failed attempt at a whisper curls the corner of my mouth up.

"Just tired," I answer to brush him off. For a few more seconds his frown is observing me before his face clears up. He then tugs my head toward him and kisses my forehead.