Chapter one

I drop down on my bed and a sigh spreads across my bedroom

I drop down on my bed and a sigh spreads across my bedroom. "I'm screwed."

"You're not." My head spins towards Brooklyn, my roommate, and I throw her a look that screams my words without telling them. "Okay, you got fired and it sucks balls, but, I mean, it's you. You'll have a new job in a split second." She shrugs, trying to settle my frustrations down, and although her 'everything will be fine' speeches most of the time work, I still feel my heart racing from irritation.

"Maybe." I silently say as I try to believe her words, but it's hard to see the good scenario between all the bad ones playing inside my head.

I had a job, I had a plan and to be blunt, I had a future. It's so frustrating that just one person can make it all fall apart by saying those simple words:

I'm sorry, but I have no other option than to let you go. I'm really sorry, August.

It's like my mind recorded it and the memory is stuck on repeat. Again and again. And again. And again. And-

A loud groan escapes from my throat in an attempt to relieve some of the anger building up inside my chest. "You know what's the worst part? I can't even be angry at Jerry. I can't even be angry at the one who scattered my dreams. Because, you know," I rapidly lift my body from the bed and turn myself towards my roommate. "It's Jerry." I sigh realizing how grateful I actually am.

"Sweet, huggable big bear Jerry," I whine as I let myself fall back onto the bed. My eyes are focused on the ceiling as if it is my own little theater screen displaying all the memories of Jerry and the movie theater I work at. Worked at. 

Past tense, August.

"How can I hate him when he gave me every possible shift or when he let me study in the theater during my shift, just because he knows how important my grades are to me. How important every penny is for me. For three years he stood there, waiting for me after school with his Friday specials." My mouth is already watering just thinking about his cooking skills. "How can I hate Jerry, Brooke?" I pout looking at her desperate for her to give me something to direct my anger at.

She drops down on the bed next to me and meaningfully looks at the ceiling. "You can't, but you know what you can do?" I raise my eyebrows expectantly. She inhales deeply before shooting up and slapping her hand on my thigh. "Little August over here can leave her pity party to go to an actual party, with real people and not with all her miserable jobless future selves trying to take over her positivity."

I cross my arms on top of my chest and lift my head a little to look her in the eyes. "Oh come on, you clearly need the distraction and what better way to distract you than going to a party with me and Luus?" She awaits my reaction opening her arms as if she's exhibiting her proposition on her hands. I stare, I blink and stare some more. "Okay, let me try that again."

She turns her back towards me and clears her throat before spinning around to show me her overly dramatic expression. "August, my dearest darling!" Her arms fly through the air as she sings my name and I press my lips into a thin line to fight the smile wanting to break free. "Your frown, it's depressing. I, mighty warrior against pity parties summon you to attend a real party. Are you ready for your quest to," she pauses to build the tension, "have fun?!"