Chapter 12

Ginny woke up in a good mood.  It could have been that her hair actually dried right and didn't have a weird lump where she would tuck her hair behind her ear.  Her mom always said it was better to not tuck her hair back while it was wet, but what else was she going to do with it when it got in her way?  She didn't have the time or patience for that.

She grabbed her book bag and walked out of the dorm and into the halls.  It was second nature to ignore any strange looks others would pass her, due to her many times when she was with Fred and George and their crazy shenanigans.  But then she realized that Fred and George weren't with her.

What were they looking at?  Did she have the face of a dead person on the back of her head?  Of course that wasn't too outlandish as it sounded, but she was pretty sure it wasn't that.  She turned to the girl, giving her a side eye.  "Is something wrong?"

"I don't know," the girl admitted.  "One rumor said it was mutual.  The other says it was forced.  Are you ok?"

"I'm fine, yes, but what rumor are you talking about?"

"Apparently someone caught you and a Slytherin boy having... Uh... Having it out..."

"What?"

"I wasn't going to believe it if it wasn't confirmed.  I hate rumors, but I didn't know how to exactly ask that question without sounding nosey.  I'm sorry."

"You're fine, but I've never done that with any guy, let alone a Slytherin that I don't even know.  You don't happen to know who's been saying this?"

She shrugged.  "I learned from Stallion.  I don't know where she heard it."

"Well, what about the guy?  Do you know who they're accusing?"

"I don't know for sure... it started with a V..."

Ginny's eyes grew wide.  "Varian."

"Yeah!" The girl snapped her fingers, but then she paused.  "So you do know him?"

"We're friends and strictly that.  Someone is pushing it way too far." Ginny clenched her fists tightly.

"I'm sorry.  I'll spread the word that it's false.  I hate it when stuff like this gets thrown around, especially when it's a load of bogus."

"Thanks. I'm going to run and find some people before this rumor gets someone hurt.   Merlin knows what Ron or even Percy would do if they heard this.  Well, I'm sure Percy would ask.  Ron will probably go on a killing spree," she muttered to herself as she rubbed her forehead.  Where was Hermione?  Or Luna?  She was going to need their wisdom and help for sure.

She began to walk briskly towards the library when she heard the commotion of a group of students crowding around in a circle.  Immediately, she understood it was a fight.  Her brisk walk instantly turned into a run as she tried to see what was going on.  The redhead tried to squeeze through, but couldn't get through. So she tapped the shoulder of a tall Hufflepuff guy.

He looked down at her.  "You need something, little lady?"

"What's going on?  I can't see."

"It's a brawl.  Some kid is beating that Malfoy to a pulp."

"What in the bloody-" Ginny couldn't even finish her sentence.  What was going on?  It was just one thing after the other. What was everyone doing standing around?  Why weren't they stopping the fight?  True, Malfoy was more than a bully for many, but certainly someone had the decency to stop it at some point.

"Think you can let me through?" She asked hopefully.

He finger gunned her.  "You got it." He turned to the nearest Hogwart student.  "Excuse me, but do you mind stepping aside a bit?"