Chapter 13

Eleven year old Draco Malfoy was walking through the moving train.  As a Malfoy, one would think he would find a seat no problem, but he had yet to find one with anyone he'd find interesting or even a Harry Potter.  Everyone appeared to be shallow or overly obnoxious.  Some kids were already crying for their parents and-he would never admit it out loud but-the older students made him nervous.

But he eventually came to an empty seating area, which he begrudgingly decided to use.  As he started to slide the door open, the door to his right opened as well, a kid flying out.  The kid landed on the ground, his suitcases landing beside him.  It's contents spilt out, one of them being an advanced potions book.  The kid was smart.

Malfoy looked at the other boys who had pushed the boy out.  They were laughing.  It was one thing to put someone who had wronged them in their place.  As a Malfoy, he understood that.  But most would never understand that he had standards.  If one was to pick a fight, it had to be with an equal.  The bullies had to be at least fifth year students.

"Pardon me, but what is this?" Malfoy gave them an unamused glare.

"What, pipsqueak?  You going to be some bloody Gryffindor?"

Draco looked at their robes, frowning.  They were not fit to wear the Slytherin color.  And no one spoke that way to a Malfoy and got away with it.

"How insecure must one be to bully someone less than half their size?  And do you think the robes come in different shades?  Because that color is not fitting on you."

"What are you asking for?" The bully crossed his arms.

"Is that a threat?" Draco tapped his wand on his chin, feeling smug.  "I'm sure my father, Lucius Malfoy, would love to hear that three fifth years were threatening his one and only son and heir to the Malfoy name." He couldn't help but smirk at the face the three made.  The feeling was rich and satisfying.

"Forget it." He slammed the door shut.

"My father will certainly hear of this." Draco snorted and looked at the boy who was gaping at him.  "What?  Snake got your tongue?" He crossed his arms.

The boy shook his head as he scrambled to stuff his things back in his bag.  "Thanks," he mumbled.

The Malfoy shrugged and turned to go in his own compartment.  To his surprise, the boy followed him in.  They sat across from each other in silence as the train chugged along the tracks.  After awhile, the blond looked at the boy.

"You don't talk much."

The boy merely shrugged.

"So what's your name?" He pressed.

"Varian Meyer."

"Like Quirin Meyer from the Ministry?"

He nodded.  "He quit though."

"Makes since.  Politics isn't for everyone.  Are you smart?"

"What kind of question is that?"

"I saw your advanced potions book, so I assumed you were pretty sharp."

Varian surprised him by grinning.  "I do enjoy it and understand it, so I guess I must be.  My parents tell me I am, but they're my parents.  They're supposed to tell me that."

"That's a given?" Draco spoke in surprise before he could think.

"Don't your parents compliment you?"