Chapter 3: Fire

Ellie's PoV

Ellie's PoV

"Hey Sis? Are you good?" I heard John say as I was trying to put on a pad.

"I'm fantastic. On a day I'm actually looking forward to work, I got my period! My pajamas had to be washed. Sorry about the washing machine making too much noise"

"It's cool," I heard John said, "I'll make us some pancakes."

I sighed, "Okay Baby Bro!" I called out before putting on a pad and washed my hands. Yes, you are supposed to do that. My roommates in college teased me about this, but getting rid of germs is very important to me.  

I went to the guest room that John finally got set up for me before getting into my suitcase and putting on the scrubs I wanted to wear. I grabbed a hair tie and put it on my wrist before I jumped at the noise of the fire alarm going off.

"Ellie! We gotta go!" John yelled out as I ran into the living room to check and see if he was okay before I saw him trying to grab everything for Benton's presentation today. I soon ran back and got my bags before grabbing his hand and running out of the apartment. 

----------

"The pancakes were a bad idea," I looked at John as we stood outside with my luggage, watching the firefighters go into the apartment with hoses.

Yup, John burnt the apartment down. All because he tried to make pancakes on high heat with too much oil for some reason.

"Well looks like things got hot in this neighborhood," I turned to see Mark walking up the street while John and I stood in our scrubs looking at him.

Mark looked at the damage, "Who's apartment burned down?"

I saw John raise his hand before I pointed to him.

Mark's eyes widen. "Are you guys okay?"

I bit my tongue nodding before John sighs, "I tried to make pancakes. Ellie's menstruating. And now we're all homeless!"

My eyes widen at what he said, "John! You're not supposed to tell people I'm on my period!"

John looks over at me, "Please the man's been divorced and he's got a daughter, he'll be fine."

I look over at Mark before mouthing out, "Sorry."

"Don't worry," Mark mouths before he reaches down and grabs the suitcase I had, "You ready to go Ellie?"

I look over at John before he nods, "You go. I'll just call Dennis over to come and pick us up."

I nod before Mark and I started walking towards a hill.

After a few minutes of silence, I sighed before Mark spoke up, "Cramping?"

"Yeah. It's fine though. I'm sorry about John saying that. It was improper."

Mark looked over at me, "Don't worry. I know what the process is like though."

I just nodded before suddenly, I was swept off my feet, "Huh?"

Mark smiled, "Don't say a word of this," he says as he carries me.

I was just frozen. I couldn't even mutter out a word except, "Thank you Dr. Greene."

"Anytime Dr. Ellie."

"That's a new one."

"I wanted to be different."

I just smiled.

--------

"Excuse me, coming through," I laughed as I watch Mark trying to navigate the hospital with me in his arms.

"You know you can put me down now. The nurses station is probably gossiping about this like crazy."

Mark smiled before gently putting me down on the ground, "Let them. We're just two friends acting crazy."

"What's wrong with that?"

"Nothing, well I think we go our separate ways here."

I nod, "Yup. Even though we work in the same department. I'll see you."

He nods before we head off. Him probably going to the trauma rooms while me just heading to the front desk.

"Morning Ellie," I heard Carol said.

"Morning Carol. Please tell me we got coffee on."

She smiled nodding, "Yup. Better get some before Benton grabs him some."

I smile before he walk over to the coffee machine to make our coffees.

I watched as Carol sighs before asking, "Everything okay?"

"Yeah it's just," she holds her hand against her face, "I'm getting older."

"We all are girl."

She smiled a little, "The point is I'm getting older and I see all these interns coming in and they're all super smart and it kind of bothers me in a way. I don't know if I made the right career choice. I'm thinking of taking some pre-med classes at the local college. You went to medical school? What do you think?"

I looked over at her as I sipped on some sweet caffeine, "Honestly. It's your choice Hathaway. I can't make it for you, but either way what you become, nurse or a doctor, you'll be great at both."

Carol smiled before we hugged each other, "Thanks Ellie."

"Anytime."

Our little moment got interrupted by Benton walking in, "Carol. Ellie. I got a trauma heading in. I think surgery might be needed on the spleen. You two available?"

I smirked over before she smirks back, "Count us in."

--------

I finally got a break at around noon. I just had finished up three trauma surgeries with Benton and even saved the three victims. I couldn't help but to smile at everyone as I walk by.

I went by the front desk before I got stopped by Jerry, "Hey Female Carter, you on break?"

I smiled walking over there, "I was grabbing some lunch. What's up?"

"Someone left a package for you," he said handing it to me.

"Thanks Jerry. Have a good day," I said heading towards the cafeteria with the package.

I quickly took some scissors that I saw on the table to open the package and instantly smiled. There was a chocolate bar with a bouquet of flowers.

I picked up the note attached to the flowers and read it to myself.

Feel better soon!
- Dr. Mark Greene

"Mark's becoming a romantic is he?" Carol said as she read the note from behind me.

I shook my head smiling, "Nope. He's just being friendly. That's all."

Let's be totally real though, that package made my day.

---------