The Blue Dress

Chapter 3

Lady Danbury’s Ball 1815

Anthony is concerned after Colin leaves to get some fresh air, so he excuses himself to his wife and brother Benedict to check on Colin. And Anthony overheard their chat with Lord Fife regarding Colin's declaration last season in Featheringtons Ball after hearing a shout with Colin's voice. He was about to interrupt since he was enraged by his small brother's actions when he heard Penelope's voice.

"You may address me as Miss Featherington, Mr. Bridgerton," she said coldly. Anthony can sense his brother's remorse in his voice, so instead of becoming upset with Colin, he taps his right shoulder and tells him it's okay.

“I messed up brother.”

“You did big time. You need to apologize to her Colin but not right now. Give her some space to think.” Colin agreed with his brother and go home first. Anthony on the other hand came back with a worried look and Kate and Benedict notices it.

"Anthony, what happened out there?" " Anthony groaned and informed them about Colin and Penelope. "Colin can be a moron at times," Benedict remarked.

…..

Lady Danbury is noticed by Athena as she observes the ton. "Good evening, Lady Danbury," she says. Lady Danbury pauses for a moment to see if she recognizes the woman in front of her and smiles when she does.

"My god, I can't believe you're here, Miss Athena or should I say...", she didn't finish since Athena interrupted, "Miss Stock. Miss Athena Stock, your Grace." Lady Danbury gives her a puzzled look but agrees.

"Would you like to meet the Queen? I'm referring to Queen Charlotte, of course. She'd be glad to know you're here," Athena laughs softly, barely loud enough for the gossips mama's to hear. "With everything that has unfolded, I doubt it", Athena said.

Lady Danbury agreed, "I believe you are correct," she said as she whispers to Athena, "No one knows King Kensley has another daughter except me, of course." Athena smiled and touched Lady Danbury's palms, "It's so nice to see you again, Lady Danbury. I miss your presence in Dublin."

"I am, too, my dear; it's good to see you socializing or perhaps observing." Athena laughed, "Well, I am still new here and I am with my friend, Penelope Featherington." Lady Danbury exclaimed, "You must be that Stocks whom I heard has been assisting Miss Featherington this season."

"That is none other than myself, Lady Danbury." Lady Danbury let go of their hands and looked around for Penelope, who was talking to Lord Debling. "I've always liked Miss Featherington; she's clever and has some wisdom to impart, and she's now getting the attention she deserves."

"I couldn't agree more," Athena said, nodding. Penelope is on her way. "Glad to see you, Lady Danbury, and thank you for inviting us to your magnificent ball."

"Do not flatter me, I know no one wants to welcome me," Penelope and Athena laughed. "That is because you are frightened to approach, but do not worry, I love your presence Lady Danbury," Penelope says, making Lady Danbury laugh out loud and the ton glanced at them. "And this is why I've always liked you, Miss Featherington; you're not scared to speak your mind."

Viscount Anthony Bridgerton comes while the three of them are enjoying their chats. "Good evening, Lady Danbury and Ms. Stocks. I apologize for interrupting your beautiful talk."

"Don't be concerned, Viscount Bridgerton; what can we do for you?", Lady Danbury explained. "I want to ask Miss Featherington to dance if she would pleases me," which surprised Penelope and made her question why the Viscount would ask her to dance. "I'd be honoured, my lord."