Love Is Not A Competition

Chapter 7

Aubrey Hall 1815

The cool night breeze whistled softly, blowing lightly through Colin’s hair. The sky was a deep, clear blue and the moonlight reflected on Aubrey Hall windows. He could feel the cold through his skin but he stays outside to think or just to breathe.

20 minutes has pass since Colin and Penelope’s argument. Eloise assisted Penelope in falling asleep, and when she left her room, she noticed Colin standing outside.

"Staying here won't help, brother. Let's go inside and hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow," Eloise murmured as she approached Colin, but he ignored his sister's comment.

"Have you always known she loves me?" Colin asked, causing Eloise to sigh, "No, she never mentioned it, she also kept it a secret, or I just didn't notice how she looks at you because I'm too concentrated on myself."

There was a brief silence before Colin responded, "My love for her is nothing compared to what she truly feels for me and I'm beginning to...." Colin didn't finish when Eloise interjected, "Do not tell me that you regret saying you love her. After everything you've done. I cannot believe you brother."

"No, that's not what I meant Eloise, I just...I fear I don't deserve her." Colin's voice breaks and he holds it in, continuing, "I love her, but I want to love her more than she does. And right now, I know she loves me more and I can't accept it."

"LOVE IS NOT A COMPETITION, brother," Eloise said, and Colin finally looked at her, his eyes filled with guilt. "Eloise, she saw everything. And, oh my goodness, she watched me proposing to Marina, and I said a significant number of things that I'm sure wounded her."

Eloise has a feeling his brother will give up since he thinks he doesn't deserve Penelope, and she told Penelope she wouldn't tell Colin about the proposal, but Lord Debling will arrive in less than a week and spoil everything. "Lord Debling will arrive next week and he will propose to Penelope."

The agony on Colin's face is indescribable. "How come you're just telling me this now, Eloise?"

"Because we know you're going to create a fuss, I mean look at yourself now. Pen does not want you to marry her simply because someone else has expressed an interest in her. And, honestly, when did you ever notice her when she was just your Pen and just your friend?"

Colin can't dispute that anything Eloise said was not true. "Look, I'm saying this for you, brother, and trust me, I want you to be together, but you really need to find a way to mend this and forgive her. She was merely attempting to preserve our family. And I do know you love her more you just haven't showed it to her yet."

“Thank you, Eloise. You’re the best sister.”

“Oh, don’t lie to me, I know your favorite sister is Daphne. So, let’s go inside cause I’m freezing a while now and try to fix this in the morning.” Colin agrees and they both went inside.

.....

The next day, there was a loud bang on Colin's door, and it was Eloise, Colin angrily said, "It's so earlier, Eloise, what is it?"

"Penelope and Athena left earlier and are currently on their way to Mayfair. So, get up right now! " Colin hurriedly dressed and went to the stable to grab a horse, but it started raining just as he was about to go."

"Maybe we should just meet them in Mayfair brother," Eloise remarked as she arrived at their stable. "Riding in the rain is unsafe."

"I can't Eloise, Debling might be there already proposing to her, I need to go now," Colin said, ignoring Eloise's pleas, and continued on his way, not even half way Eloise notice Colin's horse slide and fall on the ground. Eloise promptly returned inside to search for her older brothers, who were still sleeping.