You Were Supposed To Be Just A Fantasy

Chapter 6

Pemberley Hall 1815

A week had passed since the encounter with Colin and Penelope. Athena is assisting Penelope with her dress. "You do not need to come if you're not prepared to face him, Pen."

"It must be, I'm not going to evade him the entire season; if he tries to talk to me, I'll manage it; don't fret, Thena, I'll be well."

"All right, but if you desire to go, just let me know and I'll take you right home."

.....

Eaton Ball 1815

Penelope and Athena wanted to go unseen, but Lady Danbury caught them. "Good evening, ladies; I hope you're not simply here to stand when you may dance," Lady Danbury says as Penelope and Athena both bowed. "It's lovely to see you again, Lady Danbury; we're just taking a momentary break."

"Excellent, because it's wiser to dance to socialize. And by the way, Miss Penelope, I hope you're okay with what happened in the Smythe-Smith. That man is just dreadful." Penelope smiled at Lady Danbury's concern, "I am perfectly fine, Lady Danbury, everything worked out pretty well after Lady Whistledown papers. I believe the Baron son, Mr. Harry Dankworth, got punished for his doing and will not give his titles to him."

"Well, that's really excellent indeed. That's why I appreciate this, Lady Whistledown; when we need the truth, she'll be there." Athena looks proudly at Penelope and Penelope replied, "I couldn't agree more Lady Danbury. She is a clever woman."

"How can you determine this Lady Whistledown is a woman?" Lady Danbury asked both of them, and Penelope responded, "Well, her name literally has a Lady on it, and her compositions are far too excellent for a man." Lady Danbury's laughs at Penelope's statement caused the ton to glance at them, and Colin to notice them too.

"You are indeed incredibly Miss Penelope," Lady Danbury said, stepping to the center and clapping her hands to get everyone's attention. When everyone looked at her, she announced loudly, "1,000 pounds for whoever reveals Lady Whistledown. And I know the Queen will be pleased to know her within 2 weeks when the Queen returns. She is currently had business to go, but I know she will be gladly to provide the money."

"Fuck," Eloise says quietly as she glances at Penelope, whose face cannot be explained. She swiftly approached her and caressed her back to calmed her down and hoping no one would notice. Lady Danbury, on the other hand, has everyone's attention.

Everyone gasped when the announcement was made, and who wouldn't with that amount of money? Lady Danbury then instructs the ton to resume the dancing and returns to Penelope and Athena.

"Miss Bridgerton, it's great to see you this evening; who do you suppose Lady Whistledown is, considering you were so invested in her the last two seasons?"

"I don't know...ahh I haven't figured it out," Eloise replied, panicking, but Penelope held her hand and said to Lay Danbury, "I do think you are her, Lady Danbury." This made Lady Danbury laughed again, "Maybe or maybe not, but she sure is an excellent suppressor. I wonder if she will be uncovered."

Lady Danbury was nodded in agreement by Penelope, Eloise, and Athena. After a few minutes, Penelope excused herself to fetch some refreshments, and as she was drinking, she noticed Colin approaching her.

"Penelope, you look as lovely as ever," Lord Debling said as she looked at him. "I was late because I had an urgent business to attend to, but I got through, and I hope you're feeling better now that you didn't take certain callers last week."

"I am doing much better now, William, and I appreciate your inquiry."

Colin had finally arrived. "I've been meaning to talk to you,Pen, would you like to dance?" Colin asked Penelope, but Lord Debling interrupted and asked Penelope to dance as well. Penelope has two hands in front of her. She told Athena she couldn't keep ignoring Colin, but now he's here. She was still unable to engage with him, so she took Lord Debling's hand. Penelope caught the pain in Colin's eyes.