Chapter 4

"It's important to understand the difference between nutrient density of foods and energy density of foods," Bakugou's professor droned on. Bakugou's hand was cramping, but his laptop had died and his dumb ass hadn't brought the charger today. "Nutrient density of a food is an easy way to estimate relative nutritional quality..."

Bakugou's eyes wandered out of boredom. He'd done the reading beforehand, and all the professor was doing was essentially reading out of the textbook. What a waste of time. He'd been hyper-focused on the assignments and topics when the class began, but a few sessions in and he was getting uncomfortable with a lot of the information. He knew he could be eating healthier, but he really didn't want to get into daily caloric intake and whatnot.

Someone sneezed, and Bakugou looked over in horror to realize that Deku was sitting a few rows to his left. What the fuck. Had he been there the last few classes?

Bakugou's phone buzzed silently in his lap where he'd hidden it while scrolling aimlessly through social media.

Dont answer: can we please talk? I totally understand if you want to just tell me to fuck off again, but I just can't stand not asking you one more time. We work together now, we should at least try to get along better than we have

Fucking hell. Bakugou had a weird itch to ask Kirishima or even Shinsou for advice, but he shook it off. Neither of them knew the situation, and neither of them needed to. He glanced over at Deku and swallowed thickly when his eyes automatically locked on Deku's scarred hands. He was typing away at his computer so furiously, Bakugou was certain the students around him had to be distracted by it. Seriously, how had Bakugou not noticed him sooner? The kid occupied so much of Bakugou's brain, it was a miracle he didn't hallucinate him. He honestly might have thought he was if Deku hadn't looked so ridiculous, typing away like his life absolutely depended on it, eyes huge and locked on his screen.

Should he talk to him? Could a conversation between them help ease Bakugou's torment? Maybe that was why they'd never talked about it, maybe Bakugou had a thin sliver of hope that it could help but was too afraid to try in case it didn't. This way, he always had the option, always had that little bit of hope. Talking it out and being civil didn't have to mean they were friends. Deku didn't have to be in danger if all they did was see each other at work, right? Bakugou's [you kill everything you touch, you fucking piece of shit!] curse was only people close to him, and Kaminari was just fine, wasn't he? They were just coworkers.

Bakugou glanced down at his phone and then back up at Deku, taking a moment to actually look at him. The other boy had grown without him noticing. He still had the huge eyes and the stupid freckles, and his hair still looked like fucking broccoli, but his shoulders were far more broad than Bakugou remembered. The look of intense concentration on his face was nothing new, but his hands were bigger than they used to be. Stronger. He looked less like a defenseless child and more like...he was becoming a man. It tugged at something in Bakugou's chest when he thought about the years he hadn't been in Deku's life. He missed him. He fucking missed Deku.

As if he could tell he was thinking about him, Deku stopped typing and looked over, locking eyes with Bakugou. Bakugou cursed under his breath and tore his eyes away, but not before the look on Deku's face was seared into his memory. It was such a strong mixture of hope and sadness that Bakugou wasn't sure he'd ever forget it. Fuck. He was going to cave, he was going to fucking cave, wasn't he? Maybe he just needed some closure. His heart was racing and his palms were getting sweaty. What an idiot.

You: like over text, or?

Bakugou couldn't hear Deku's phone, but he somehow sensed when the other boy flinched almost imperceptibly. Knowing the dumbass, he was internally freaking out.