Chapter 18

The memories of the accident had melted away like nothing as warmth wrapped around Bakugou, promising him safety even for just a moment. He wasn't entirely sure if he was awake or not, but it didn't matter. He felt peaceful.

Until a loud banging and a jolt behind him forced him further into consciousness, that was.

There was a shuffling sound in front of him, and then Deku's voice asking a sleepy question Bakugou didn't quite catch. He kept his eyes closed, not ready to talk. If Deku was in front of him, who was . . .

Shouto's deeper voice answered from behind him, and Bakugou's face suddenly felt hot. Shouto was the one lying behind him with his arms wrapped around him? When had that happened?

"I'll see what they want," Deku said, sounding oddly content, "don't move."

His weight left the bed and then it was just Bakugou and Shouto, curled up together like- like a couple, oh god. Bakugou couldn't even freak out about the events of the night before because he was too busy freaking out about Shouto holding him. His chest felt like a furnace against Bakugou's back and his face was barely not touching his neck.

Muffled voices were talking in the next room, but Bakugou was too distracted to pay attention to who it was and what they were saying. He regretted it, however, when something that was said caused Shouto to make a confused sound and then start gently extracting himself from Bakugou. Still not ready for further confrontation, Bakugou pretended to be asleep. Shouto pulled the blanket over him and gently tucked it around him, smoothing his hair from his forehead the way Deku did and then leaving silently, the door closing with a quiet click.

What the fuck? Why was his heart pounding? And who the fuck was in the living room?

"Well, I'll be more than happy to talk to him again if he feels like it," a voice said, and Bakugou swore his heart stopped for a moment. Was that . . . All Might? Shit. That was bad. He hadn't thought the man would show up at his apartment just because he hadn't texted him in a few days. Now they were out there talking about him.

"Would you like to sit?" he heard Shouto ask, and he wanted to scream no, please leave. It was horrible of him, really, because the man was just trying to help him, but he didn't want more people here to worry about him. He was never going to get away now, never going to be able to keep Deku safe.

He'd failed even without All Might visiting, though, so he really had no excuse. He hadn't realized what he was doing last night until he was face to face with Deku and Shouto, and he'd missed them, god he'd missed them. He'd wanted to see Deku talking excitedly about something stupid again, he'd wanted to hear Shouto's rare and priceless laugh again. He would never say that out loud. He'd just been losing his mind alone in his room. He missed Kirishima and Kaminari and Shinso, too, but it was for the best that they weren't around right then. Seeing Shouto and Deku was hard enough.

"Don't worry about it," All Might's voice sounded through the door, "I can't imagine what you kids have been through the last few days." Bakugou really needed to make them stop talking.

He was on his feet in seconds, wavering as black spots invaded his vision once he was upright. He stumbled to the door.

"We just want him to feel better. We just miss him," Deku said, right before Bakugou pulled the door open.

It creaked far too loudly, and Bakugou panicked. He had absolutely no plan. Now he was just standing in the doorway, staring into the living room at its three occupants, all of whom looked both startled and concerned.