CHAPTER 8

Unknown pov

Death is near, I feel it, and my body is weak causing pain in every breath I take. I've given up a very long time ago, each day praying the Great Wolf takes me. She doesn't, mocking me as I lay here in this cell, I've learned to call home. This place is nothing but a dark lonely void somewhere at the bottom of a rotting landmark. I lay here day by day, reflecting my past life over and over again. My only companion is a small rat, that makes his presence known from a hole at the side of my bed. Even he has a price of companionship, stealing bits of my food thats left for me as if I were a dog. My bed is nothing but a concrete slab and a blanket I've earned somehow. I don't recall how it was placed in my care but I am thankful for it. I have about four feet of walking space to stretch my legs but it’s not even worth getting up, not seeing the point in this new life I lead. I can only wonder why she keeps me alive.  My only getaway is a drip of water with its rhythm tic, plays in my head over and over lulling me to sleep, dreaming of what my life use to be.

Aaawwww!! Home!! How much I missed it!! My home is a beautiful castle just off the Isles of Adolphia, which is planted on a cliff that overlooks the calm of the ocean. The view off the cliff was incredible; I would take my wife to a private area on the north wing of the castle where we would pass the time staring off at the blue ocean. Listening to the waves playing tag with the bottom edge of the cliff, sliding down as it massages the shoreline. A beautiful breeze makes its presence known sending a bit of the salt from the ocean to tickle our noses while it howls in the air teasing the wolf in us to do the same. When nightfall came we would shift into the glorious wolves we represented ending the night howling at the moon, showing our respect to the Great Wolf above. The memories will forever be etched in my mind as I repaint the wonderful memories my wife and I made. Those days are long gone. Now the memories that linger, are the ones the Great War created. It took away from me, her precious life. I lost everything my wife, my children, my people and my home.

It was suppose to be a day of rejoicing a union between my youngest daughter and the son of the Botewolf pack. We were the last of the royals and this union would merge our packs as one. It wasn't like the old days when we were governed by an old traditional style of rules. When our packs dwindled, reasons I'm not sure of, situations changed and you have to just do what’s right by the pack. The celebration of a betrothal requires all packs to be involved, it’s a three day celebration that involved a feast, ceremony, and an after party. It was always exciting seeing the effort that was put in a betrothal.

Once arrived on their land, were rows of blush orchards, welcoming us in. The beautiful orchard trees directed us on a long straight path through their land. Once entered in we were welcomed in by all the pack, members showering us with gifts for the union. We were graced with an assortment of fruits, incense, fragrant oils, and herb. Then they would adorn us with soft velvety silks in many, many colors. The two joining families of the betrothed would exchange books of history of our family, rare jewelry for the women and weapons of glory for the men. It was suppose to be a glorious moment that would change history surviving our legacy of the royals. Alas, everything changed that day, instead of beautiful memories we were scarred with memories of death. The land was covered with a crimson blanket that enveloped the land.

There was so much evil in that man, Dario, who forever changed our history. There was a look in his eyes of satisfaction that "he" had won, taking everything from me because I denied him my youngest daughter. I only learned of his treachery from a vision from a witch that showed me his true venomous colors. Dario was definitely a demon; his heart was no longer pure. He was one of the great pure blooded lines of the vampires; his heart later became tainted by greed from what our blood can do. He wanted to use the power we held to create more Lycans and even vampires with power when mixed with a royal werewolf. I couldn't let that happen, what he would create with his army would destroy what’s left of our people. The humans weren't even safe because the great power they would gain would only increase the bloodlust for the vampires. The humans would be extinct if that were to take place leaving a void in the other earth; they are needed just as much as we need the land and the animals. We are completed by each different role we are born in, destined to fill our part in this world no matter what part we play.