Chapter 24

"It's fine, Mister Leroy," I said, immersed in his eyes. It was green, like Rosalind! I couldn't believe they weren't siblings instead of Rose and Rosalind. "It's a pleasure to meet you, I'm Blanche de Winter."

"I heard you couldn't come to your father's funeral due to private reasons?" He seemed sympathetic. "I wasn't trying to pry, excuse me, I just hope his passing wasn't too hard on you. Our father is sick, too."

"Really? What's his illness?" I asked slowly.

"Well, it's hard to explain. He went to war, and came back a different man. Nothing ever makes him smile anymore," Leroy whispered, eyes casted down. Then he looked up again, smiling gently. "It affected the last generation most, so I'm thinking of getting into politics. I don't believe any war is right."

"Even if countries colonize others?" Dylan said curtly from his spot.

"Dylan!" I hissed in a whisper. It wasn't time for political arguments.

"Colonizing countries itself isn't right, I never liked what Britain did and therefore our ancestors came to America." Leroy kept his gaze.

"But the Blackwoods still have their coat of arms, don't you? I heard some of your cousins even went back to Britain because they would have priority protection as dukes." Dylan gave a passive aggressive smile. I held his arm but he continued. "And you still live using your father's money, who got it from his father, you were a rich family to begin with."

Everyone was looking, from Caralette to Olivia and her daughters, and even Ruby. Only Ivan went on talking about his recent journey to Boston loudly.

Leroy stared straight at his eyes and then nodded again. "I've never thought of my origin, how lucky I was. And you're right, absolutely right—and that fuels my passion more. I want to be in a spot where I can oppose such a system. I wouldn't be Marxist, of course, but I do want things like statuses and family lineage to be abandoned. And thank you, Mister Dylan, for letting me realize such."

"I'm so glad you two can talk about politics!" I quickly jumped in. "I'm helpless in that field. I hope you can be a politician too, Leroy. Oh, Mister Leroy, excuse me."

"No, Leroy is fine." He had on that Rosalind-like smile again. My heart pulled.

"Leroy, then. And you can call me Blanche. I wish I had dreams as grand as that, I've never thought of changing the world. Maybe at most I'd like to publish a book, but it's hard for female authors to make it big as of now."

"That's true, many write under pen names," he said. "But Agatha Christie is wonderful!"

"I agree! Have you read And Then There Were None?" I asked gleefully.

"Of course, I know all her classics! I also love the way she inserts nursery rhymes into all the books."

"Yes, she's such a gallant woman. I never knew I loved mystery novels until I read hers."

"Same for me!" He laughed. "My cousin actually forced me to read it!"

Cousin? Did the real Rose like her too? Or were these his other cousins?

"Anyways, she gives me hope as a woman. Oh, if you can please give us the right to vote! And that's the extent of my political interest. Maybe also end segregation." As I was a Jew and somehow related to the colored that Scarlett and Austen spoke about with disdain.

But besides that I was talking out of my ass. A quick glance at Dylan's visibly disinterested face told me he was upset.

"I'd love to talk about that, but tonight let's stay away from politics. I am helpless at talking to people at parties, but talking to you is enjoyable." Leroy laughed and did his cute habit of scratching at his collar as he continued nervously.