Chapter 30

Three weeks had passed since "my" cousins came over, with their mother Olivia. They had to leave with Austen and Scarlett was in a fuss.

"I'll buy you two adorable dresses and we can pick out heels!" Scarlett said, hugging both.

Angel smiled back. "I'll be back, Aunt Scarlett! Don't worry, I love this house."

"I don't like heels," Connie said simply.

When Scarlett stood up she locked eyes with Olivia and looked away although Olivia smiled, cheeks like apples. Surprisingly, Olivia turned to me.

"Blanche, you certainly must shop with us too, next time. The color idea with the balls was a disaster! I will buy an extra color next time, though," she laughed jokingly, but I couldn't tell if she was over it. I wasn't for sure.

Rich women were certainly petty. If they didn't have these small tricks up their sleeves I could've knocked out all three women in a row. But now I was a rich woman, so I smiled.

"Oh, I expected such things from some people, I've been learning from the past two months."

Angel laughed. "You're so calm, Blanche. I really want to stay with you more."

"Same for me, Angel." If you weren't in love with Dylan I would've liked you more, though.

I gave my two cousins hugs and everyone made a fuss before they left, and at the doorway they laughed and said something.

"Wait—it's Hughes!" Austen shouted.

As though a gun had sounded we all ran to the front door, and I, in my heels, was first. Dylan bumped into me.

"How did you—?" He stared at me in something akin to fear.

"I'm Blanche, an heiress. Can't risk getting killed," I said.

"I feel assured," Vaughn panted, right behind Scarlett. He would easily die in a house fire, I must take that into consideration. However, Calvin and Ruby stayed inside as we all peered and greeted Hughes.

If one said they fancied daddies or older men I might've been confused, but now that confusion was gone when I saw Hughes. Streaked grey hair, pale as ice eyes, and a straight posture that seemed to account for his personality, he was simply put—attractive.

"Now I must say farewell, Mister Austen, Mrs.de winter, Angelina, and Constance. Have a safe journey."

His voice was wonderful and his salute made me giggle.

"Isn't he darling?" Scarlett said, and for the first time, she had no malice in her voice.

"Yes," I replied.

"How is it that Hughes alone can make all the female population swoon in five seconds or less?" Vaughn asked. And it was true: Olivia and Angel looked out and waved with fervor as Connie also sneaked peeks.

"He's such a dandy," Scarlett replied. "Oh, I wish I had a husband like him instead of—"

She stopped and Hughes came over, sharp and smiling.

"Good afternoon, Mister Dylan, Mister Vaughn, Mrs.Carroll, and most of all, is this Miss Blanche I see? You're a pretty young thing, I hope the maids gave you a warm welcome," he said in his soft voice.

"Yes, they have," I said quickly. They've all waited for Hughes to come over day in day out—would be really make everything go smoothly? Like a fairy godmother?

"I'll need to be briefed by the maids on what you like and dislike, and the situation in the house will be under my charge as of today. I'm pleased to meet you, Miss Blanche." He held my hand and briefly brushed his lips against my knuckle, making me swoon.