Chapter 39

Over the next few days the plans were made, I had talked with Vaughn and later went over plans again with Ruby and Calvin. Somehow I trusted them like my own siblings—maybe in a way they reminded me of Rosalind. And my real sister.

The day of Hughes's departure we returned to usual, reading a book or newspaper, Ruby and I having tea as she wrote down songs in her tea room.

When Dylan left Vaughn and Calvin tailed him from afar, and the conversation with Vaughn returned.

***

"Have you noticed? There's two very suspicious things you should have realized the day Hughes returned."

"No, what are they?"

Vaughn pulled his curtains open before tracing his fingers on it unconsciously.

"One," he said, "if Hughes had returned from a far place, there naturally should have been a carriage. Yet Austen and his family saw him only after they got on his carriage, which is when he finally greeted us."

"That is suspicious. The place he keeps Blanche must be walkable by foot, or he doesn't trust any carriage driver for the job."

"Indeed. Second, whenever he returns from a trip, there's always the strong musky cologne he wears. Yet after a few days, he stops wearing it. Do you consider this a coincidence?"

"No," I muttered.

"And you know what? I also have an ominous feeling about Dylan, the perfect heir who could receive everything, the enemy of Blanche herself. Why is he so calm? Why was he so quick to agree upon letting you replace Blanche? Why did he forgive you, all until he found out your connection with his father? It's an oedipus complex, he wants the woman untainted by his father, his alone."

"Don't say such crude things about him!" I snapped without realizing. "God, why did you say that?"

"Listen." He pulled the curtains close and then turned to meet my eyes, his face almost glowing in the lamplight. "Listen, because I know it's hard for you, but I've found out something Abraham Whitecross told me. He was bribed by an older man in a suit, and the description matches Hughes perfectly. Dylan said it was just a coincidence and had me keep it a secret from you..."

I thought my first love, my one true love, would never face the doubts I did. My blood seemed to grow cold as I thought of Dylan and his lies.

I will protect you.

Goosebumps formed on my skin and I stepped back, not able to process it.

"They talk every night in Hughes study," Vaughn said. "Dammit, I know it. These documents are fake! A poor girl wouldn't have such education, such eloquent words, or even that familiar cursive!"

"We have to find Blanche," I chanted to myself. "We have to find Blanche!"

And prove it's not Dylan. He couldn't have.

"And there's another secret. Dylan spilled it on the first day we all met." Vaughn lowered his voice and whispered it into my ears.

It couldn't be true.

That same night I cried, and Ruby hugged me as she spoke.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't think about it until I th-thought it would make sen-sense only if you weren't Blanche. I won't tell anyone, Calvin promised me too."

"I'm not Blanche," I admitted as I smoothed back her lovely hair. In the dark when I couldn't see it it felt just like Rosalind's. "I'm going to find her soon, Ruby, but that also depends on how you, and Calvin, can help me..."