Chapter 29

I wondered at this point if I could leave the de Winter family. There was no one I cared about besides Ruby and Calvin, but mainly my dear Ruby. Other than her, I was propelled to burn the house in the middle of my walks, where I took up smoking again, a habit I wouldn't have any de Winter family member or lawyer know, a secret I would only trust with Ruby.

But back to my point, I thought of the best ways to end the de Winter other than simply disappearing, maybe bleaching my hair and sailing to France and see the museums with classical pieces I've always heard of. The city people talk about it and criticize it as though they knew anything when they were less than experts.

I could also poison their wine, as only Ruby didn't drink wine. Connie and Angel would be leaving soon so this would take place afterwards. Vaughn would certainly die, but then it would be obvious I was the perpetrator and on a wanted list.

My other choice was to burglarize the house then hire someone with the money I could easily get from selling painting or some frivolous antique. I'd hire them to kill them as I ran and the story would be I was either kidnapped or killed, too. I hoped they didn't waste their time looking for the nonexistent Blanche de Winter.

The grass crunched, and I turned to see a slim figure I easily recognized. I put out the cigarette and waved the smell as I stood up to greet them.

"Good night, isn't it, Vaughn?"

"Yes, it's a fine night. What were you thinking about?"

"How to kill the de Winter family, of course in a simple and clean manner. I'd like the bodies to be identifiable at least, you know." I was feeling strangely calm, as most of the time after I had a smoke. The first time I smoked was to look like a city girl, but I stopped after becoming Rosemarie. I wondered if Blanche would smoke or not.

"I'm glad, I agree, murder is an art. You must plan it with utmost precision to details. As for now you should come back into the house, you should know you're worth a fortune. People call you Ten Million behind your back." Vaughn didn't even crack a smile.

"Oh, please, last time it was Five Million, are the stocks going up that fast?"

"They better be after Franklin D. Roosevelt worked so hard to get the economy up and running, maybe you'll be Twenty Million tomorrow."

We stood at stalemate.

The wind blew and I hugged myself in the cold. Next time I'd throw on a cardigan. "Let's go back in."

"Forget it." He didn't hide his displeasure. "Get that cigarette smell off you first, or I will be watching that you don't have a smoke again in your life."

He came closer, and his pale long face scared me, like how I imaged Dracula or Dr.Frankenstein to look. It was uncannily knowing, as though he were—a younger version of Auguste de Winter.

"How dangerous, Dylan was going to come and get you, but I stopped him to say I would. Imagine if he came and knew you smoke. I regret my decision more with every passing day," Vaughn said in woe.

I felt the same. "It's all your fault, anyways."

"Why did you choose Leroy, if you didn't really like him?"

"I'm not inclined to answer you."

Vaughn snatch my hand and twisted my wrist, making me scream out.

"You damn bastard!" I had never said such words at anyone besides Abraham—and now Vaughn. "Let me go!"

"Don't forget your humble origins, Rosemarie—the fake." Vaughn's mask-like face didn't change expression. "If you want me to not throw you as food to the crocodiles back there in the mansion you will answer me, inclined to or not."