Chapter 22

I asked Ruby what color everyone took as to decided whether I would wear my blue or red gown. She told me she took pale blue, Connie and Angel are both pink, Scarlett was dark blue, Claribel green, and Olivia purple.

"Red isn't taken?" I asked. She nodded.

Connie came over to us with Angel.

"Good morning, Connie, Angel. I heard you're both wearing pink?"

"I wouldn't mind anything, but she wanted pink," Connie said.

"Excuse you, it's for your sake! You are pretty, Connie, you only need to put yourself out there," Angel said, linking arms.

"Nonsense," Connie whispered. Ruby laughed.

"I wished I had a s-sister."

"Exactly! Sisters are a very nice things, see, Connie, Ruby would like that!" Angel sat next to Ruby and I saw her taken by surprise. Angel was surprisingly sweet unlike her mother or even father.

"One day I will be studying fashion and when it comes I'll give you handmade dress. I already sew, and I love designing!"

Angel liked to talk about herself, and maybe that was why she was loved. She wasn't closed off to anyone, Ruby nor I, and always seemed to be in her own little world as she dreamed on.

Connie, on the other hand, was closed off and tended to bring the mood down.

"It's all nonsense, Angel," Connie said at one point. "Dad lied. The heir is Blanche, and it can only be retrieved when she's married. We were only given six thousand to live off, like Claribel and Scarlett."

"Oh, heavens." Angel looked devastated.

"No, Claribel and Scarlett only received four thousand," I corrected, then felt awful about. "Well, don't worry, Angel, when I get married I'll be able to lend and give his money to you two, his nieces!"

"No, I hated that man." Angel sighed a leaned her pretty face on the palms of her hands. "I found a job anyway, as a secretary! Don't tell mom or dad, they'd hate it!"

"How did you get a job?" Connie asked. "You're stupid."

"How rude! I applied and had to type in front of them, and then they hired me for the days I don't have school, and they'd give their main secretary a break."

"They know you have school and still hired you?" I asked, also dubious.

"Fine." Angel smirked. "I'll tell you three only, then. The man mistook me as Ruby. Oh, he was ecstatic, telling me how he would never refuse the first daughter of Uncle Auguste and I was just like him! What an insult." She turned her face and straightened her posture again.

"Still, you got the job due to the de Winter name. You shouldn't hate it." I smiled as I thought of my similar and yet very different past. "If I could've, I would use my family's fame to the same amount."

"Then why didn't you?" Angel asked. "Why did you hide from us?"

"Yes, I've always wanted to know," Connie added.

I froze and immediately thought of my past. Being an escort and call-girl. Pretending to be Rosemarie Blackwood when I was tired of being a working adult.

Ruby had on a concerned face, and I trusted somehow she, out of everyone, knew not to ask. I closed my eyes slowly before opening it, taking in the beautiful tearoom with its ornate wallpaper and beautiful, sturdy marble table and brocade couches. The grandeur of it reminded me of my truth—Blanche's truth.

"I—I was too scared to." I sniffed before speaking. "Auguste told me men might seek me only for his money, kidnap me, or worse, rape me. I took his words into consideration, and having grown up without a family, I thought it would be fine that way, with only my father."