Chapter 6

As Blanche, I sure blanched when I heard Vaughn's confident voice reading the will.

Why?

"Blanche is not Lucinda and my lovechild. Some sixteen or seventeen years ago I was in love with Lucinda, but I have never impregnated her. As unfaithful as I am, I could not bear Lucinda losing her job. My honest wish was for her to live in our house and service my wife forever.

"Yet you know, Lucinda died in childbirth. It resulted in a child she never named, and I, claiming she allowed me to be her godfather, named her Blanche. I truly desired for you, Blanche, to grow up in my house and marry my son at the time, Dylan. Yes, I wanted that. Yet my first wife was in hysterics and demanded you be sent away for Dylan's benefit.

"Yet as much as I did, a man grows lonely when he becomes older. After my second marriage and many trysts, I truly trusted you, Blanche. I am in tears as I write this, thinking of handing you to a man, without me walking you down the aisle. You are witty, charming, yet gentle. You were very convincing in all your plans but one—which is that they will absolutely never find you, but money drives people to insanity.

"By the time this will has been read, you may all be years or decades older. So I place my curse on you, Blanche, Dylan, Calvin, Ruby—and Scarlett.

"I, Auguste de Winter, of sound mind, declare my will as to the following. Vaughn Newman, appointed my Lawyer, shall read this will to only the representatives and direct blood relations of the de Winter family.

"I give and bequeath to Blanche de Winter, should she survive me, all funds in my savings account, my property, personal effects, and decree as the matriarch.

This time the gasps were much more realistic and upset than before.

Vaughn held up a hand.

"Only if she abides by, Article I, she marries a man without divorce in five years under two criteria,"

Something in me drops as Vaughn speaks.

"...Article II, she marries a respectable man of the Redmond, Whitecross, Blackwood family, or Vaughn Newman. They will not receive any share of her inheritance.

"Article III, she is not married to my sons, Dylan de Winter or Calvin de Winter."

The feeling increases twice-hold and I instinctively looked at Dylan, who looked back at me. His face was one of not anger, but vulnerability.

"No—" I murmured. No one heard and Vaughn continued.

"I give and bequeath to Austen de Winter, or to the direct blood children of them, the sum of $6,000.00. To Scarlett Carroll, or the direct blood children of them, $4000.00. To Claribel de Winter I give the sum of $4000.00, with the wish it be used for Ruby's care. To Dylan de Winter and Calvin de Winter I will not cede any sum of money nor personal effects."

"What!" This time it was Calvin, wide-eyed. "That bastard!"

"Sit down!" Claribel spoke, but her voice was rather soft than strict.

"On the circumstances where Blanche is not present at the reading of my will, which I wholly believe is possible, my property will be donated to the church, including my personal effects. My funds will be split, 80 percent to charity for war veterans and 20 percent to Austen, and if he is deceased, his blood relations. Olivia de Winter will not have permission to touch any money until her children are of age to retrieve it.

"That is all."

Vaughn was still calm as the family bickered loudly.

"Blanche is not his daughter! Absurd! She can't take off with the money," Scarlett shouted.