Chapter 28

Waste of my time.

What an utter waste of my time.

I had dressed accordingly to the most popular day outfits in the magazine I flipped through, had Irene done my long hair up in their exact waves, and left the house. Only I hadn't exactly left, because two men followed me.

Dylan was dressed in brown pants with suspenders and a checkered jacket, and Vaughn, too, dressed like a "commoner" in his grey matching set.

They weren't even hiding the fact they were following me as I got on the so-called bus, they only sat in the seat right behind me.

"It's such gloomy weather, it won't rain—will it?" Dylan was saying.

"Oh no, we wouldn't want rain to dampen the couple's first date!" Vaughn laughed at his own unfunny pun.

"But after the shower comes the flowers," Dylan continued.

Neither of them were amusing so I turned back to look at them. Both jumped a bit as though startled. Did they think I was blind, or deaf?

"Would you two kindly shut your mouths and refrain from talking about my future?" I asked.

"Jesus Christ! Why are your eyes like that?" Vaughn said. I could've strangled him right then and there.

I turned back, hoping Dylan didn't notice my swollen and red eyes. After the night Connie and I took a night walk I kept sobbing outside until Ruby was asleep. I didn't want her to worry.

In fact, it had been two or three days—Connie and Angel said they wanted to leave but Olivia wore the pants and she wanted to stay. So they would stay until further notice. 

I had to focus on Leroy and forget about Dylan. He was in love with Rose, too. A dead girl.

Neither of us would be happy anyway.

"I suppose Irene must've put too much rouge," Dylan said. Men were idiots; he proved my point.

The bus lurched and I watched the scenery pass outside the window, children hopping around, women in dresses like mine, the type of women I envied, and women like the old country me. I saw men, too, with women hanging on their arms and flashing watches, and men who were clearly sweating under the April weather.

It was clearly very humid, and I hoped it would get better—unless Leroy had an umbrella I could duck under, too.

When we met in front of the cafe as I had called on the telephone just yesterday noon, Dylan hiding slyly towards the bend of the hallway, not that he was really secretive about it. I knew I had to act accordingly and Leroy was not completely trusted. I found it hard to say I fully trusted anyone, de Winter or stranger, so I kept everything to myself. Maybe that's what made it so hard for me to give up.

Dylan was the first person I felt I could be so open with, and not only that but opened to me. Our night talk left a deep impression upon me, made me realize I knew a side to him only dead Rosemarie probably did.

I walked into the cafe and chose a window seat so I could feast my eyes on the humans with their smiles, frowns, and unreadable expressions streaming by. I loved watching people, and maybe it was to please them—but sometimes, it was the only way I could detach myself from my thoughts.

Since Leroy showed no signs of showing in the rather desolate cafe I ordered a chocolate croissant with my cafe au lait. Behind me two familiar men requested for specific drinks and pastries, and I heard their conversation even with their low voices.

"This is the part," Vaughn was saying.

"Part of what?" Dylan asked my question.

"The part where the love rival comes into the play," Vaughn said. The waiter came with my cafe au lait and gave them specially prepared one shot of espresso with one pinch of milk and so on.