Chapter 4: We Won

Gr8ful
~ Chloe Frances

"Trying not to laugh as I tell you I love you
I wonder if you notice the way your body moves like mine?
When you opened up the blinds you looked like a child again
Something kind of lucky gleaming in your eyes

I became the figure in my own doorway
Sneaking into bed, I could see the earth go on for miles
Then, again, you wrapped your arm around my torso
And there was no one else, there was nothing else

Angel in blue, I needed you, and you came into my bedroom
Picked me up off the floor, made my cheeks flush again
Now I am new, shining and cool, and I have you to thank
So I'll say grace, I'll say grace, I'll say grace"

Angel in blue, I needed you, and you came into my bedroomPicked me up off the floor, made my cheeks flush againNow I am new, shining and cool, and I have you to thankSo I'll say grace, I'll say grace, I'll say grace"

CHAPTER 4: WE WON

Nadine couldn't take it anymore. She was too nosey for her own good. She sat up off the bed and turned to face the woman. "Vanya, are you okay?" She asked.

Vanya took a second to answer, silence filling the room. "Do you ever feel like your body isn't your body?"

Nadine shook her head at the question and then realized the woman couldn't see her. "What do you mean?" Vanya sighed and sat up, letting her legs swing over so she was in front of Nadine on the bed.

She took a deep breath before looking down again. "Like... you were born the wrong person. Like you don't feel natural in the body you were given." Nadine choked on a breath and silence over took them.

The girl got up from her bed and moved to sit beside Vanya. "No. But, uh- I had this friend. His name was Dalton, but um... he wasn't born with male anatomy."

Vanya looked over at the girl intrigued, her eyes telling her to continue. "So, right, Dalton realized at a very young age that he wasn't a girl. On the outside he was, but on the inside he wasn't. He was lucky though, his parents supported him the whole way through it. Some parents won't do that."

The girls speech of excitement turned into one of remorse. "Our friend, Eliza. Her parents were religious and super 'pro-family'. Anyways, her family kicked her out when she came out. Disowned her. She lived with me for a few weeks before social services caught up to her and put her in the foster system."

Vanya put an arm around the younger girls shoulders and pulled her in. They laid back on her bed and stared up at the ceiling. "What happened to Eliza?" She asked cautiously.

Nadine sighed, rubbing her hands against her thighs. "Uh, I never saw her again. They probably moved her out of The City to another state..."