Chapter 5: Viktor

Rivers and Roads
~ The Head And The Heart

"A year from now, we'll all be gone
All our friends will move away
And they're goin' to better places
But our friends will be gone away

Nothin' is as it has been
And I miss your face like hell
And I guess it's just as well
But I miss your face like hell

Been talkin' 'bout the way things change
And my family lives in a different state
If you don't know what to make of this
Then we will not relate"

Been talkin' 'bout the way things changeAnd my family lives in a different stateIf you don't know what to make of thisThen we will not relate"

CHAPTER 5: VIKTOR

        The next morning, the sun rose, the birds chirped, but nothing felt the same. Nadine still struggled to understand what happened the night before. That feeling she randomly had.

        She hadn't slept well and it showed. She sat at the table beside the small bookcase on the first floor of the hotel. Her head was laid against her hand, watching Vanya scour the limited selection Hotel Obsidian had to offer. The woman picked up a book and started looking through it when Chet, the man from the front desk, walked over to have a look from over her shoulder.

        Vanya looked up at the man and started closing the book. "We take all kinds here." He nodded after his statement and then walked off.

        Nadine narrowed her eyes at the interaction and stood up once he was gone. "What was that about?" She questioned, rubbing her eyes. Vanya looked at the girl and moved her hands over so she could see the book.

        "The Kennedy Six." Nadine read with a snort. "Oh, look. They even have pictures! You guys are famous." She whistled, running a finger across the words. "Vanya, did you know you're a Soviet spy and the founding member of a Communist group that is responsible for the assassination of JFK?" The girl snorted again and Vanya shook her head in humor.

        "And you were kidnapped by me, never to be seen again." They laughed together at the woman's words.

        "Oh, my god. How did they get that picture of Five? He's wearing lapels!" Nadine chuckled, pointing at him. "At least he looks good in it." She shrugged. Vanya looked up at her words and lifted an eyebrow.

        "What's going on between you two anyway?" The woman questioned.

        Nadine's face flushed as her head immediately fell downwards. "Uh, nothing?"

        Vanya snorted and closed the book, leaving a finger in the pages so she didn't lose her spot. "Nothing? You're a terrible liar. And your blush sure doesn't convince me."