Chapter 12: Forget-Me-Not

Liquid Smooth
~ Mitski

"I'm liquid smooth, come touch me, too
And feel my skin is plump and full of life
I'm in my prime
I'm liquid smooth, come touch me, too
I'm at my highest peak, I'm ripe
About to fall, capture me
Or at least take my picture

Kuzurete yuku maeni
I'm pulsing, my blood is red and unafraid of living
Beginning to end"

Kuzurete yuku maeniI'm pulsing, my blood is red and unafraid of livingBeginning to end"

CHAPTER 12: FORGET-ME-NOT

"Because I can count on my fingers the number of sunsets I have left, and I don't want to miss any of them."

— Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games, Catching Fire —

        "So we're just making up words now, huh?" Nadine questioned with a hand on her hip.

        Five shook his head, handing out drinks to each of them. He slid a water with lemon over to her, sending her back a smile when she gave him one.

        "So, this Kugelblitz, it's..." Viktor started, not knowing how to finish. "The end of everything. Every rock, every star, every atom sucked into a radiant black hole." Five explained, pouring more drinks.

        "Randomly collapsing matter every moment in time across all existence till nothing's left." Lila added.

        "Oh good, I was beginning to get worried." Nadine deadpanned, taking a sip of her water.

        "I hate to say I told you so, but..." Five lead off, tilting his head.

        "You love to say I told you so." Viktor squinted at his brother, taking a shot. The boy tilted his head back and put the liquor bottle to his lips, beginning to chug from it.

        After a second of silence —and Nadine looking around the hotel lobby awkwardly —Lila decided to break it. "You know, it's impressive. Whoever knocked off your mums hated you all enough to end the entire universe."

        The girl was happy that her doppel didn't die the same way theirs did, but it also stressed her out. She had no idea what the clues meant and absolutely no idea what to do next.

        "We don't know that." Viktor spoke defensively, making Nadine lift an eyebrow. Suspicious, she thought to herself.

        "It doesn't matter who created the thing. We just have to kick its ass." Allison commented seriously.

        "Oh really? How? Are you and Diego gonna punch it in the Kugel?" Nadine snorted at Luther's words, earning a glare from the woman.