Chapter 10: My Story

Weekend Wars
~ MGMT

"I'm a curse and I'm a sound
When I open up my mouth
There's a reason I don't win
I don't know how to begin"

"I'm a curse and I'm a soundWhen I open up my mouthThere's a reason I don't winI don't know how to begin"

CHAPTER 10: MY STORY

"How can the dead be truly dead when they still live in the souls of those who are left behind?"

— Carson McCullers, The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter —

The What Ifs faded from Nadine's head while she stumbled along the sidewalk. "She didn't used to get this dizzy, right?" A woman's voice asked from behind her. The witch didn't care what they were talking about. All she was interested in was how the sky looked at the moment.

She reached her fingers up and drummed them through the air, smiling at the feeling. "It's so nice out today. It was never like this in timeline I'm from. Maybe in Texas, but that's it." The girl spoke with a bright smile, spinning around. Ben and the woman with the crows walked behind her, the cube floating above them.

"When were you in Texas?" Ben asked, making her raise an eyebrow.

"Oh Ben! Your memory needs to be checked. It was a couple dozen years ago, give or take. We were there less than a week ago! Until..." Nadine's smile dropped and she got serious, her arms hanging by her sides.

The Sparrows tilted their head but before they could ask anymore questions, the girl had already gone back to smiling, giggling, and spinning.

Ben sighed, crossing his arms over his chest. "Nadine." He tried to get her attention, to no avail.

He was getting more irritated by the second but he wouldn't let his anger problems get the best of him when it came to her. She was his little sister and one of the only Sparrows that had ever felt like family to him. He'd be patient for her.

"What's your name, anyway?" Nadine suddenly spun to face them and stared at the woman with the crows. She shared a look with Ben before cautiously answering. "Fei."

The witch hummed, her smile getting a little wider. "That's a pretty name. And, what about you?" She turned to the cube. "I heard them say Chris?" The girl added with a tilted head, earning a few beeps from him. She smiled and nodded at him. "No, I like it."

She suddenly spun back to face forward and began skipping, making the Sparrows share another look. They had used the drug on her before but she never reacted like this.