𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐊 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐍𝐀 | 𝐈'𝐌 𝐒𝐎𝐑𝐑𝐘

Several dozen Romans had already surrounded me, Angelique and Piper

Several dozen Romans had already surrounded me, Angelique and Piper. Angelique had her bronze dagger out, but she didn't look like she wanted to use it. Piper's charmspeak was useless against so many screaming, angry demigods.

I was still a bit dazed from the sudden turn of events. I still wasn't even sure exactly what was happening. Someone on Argo II was firing. It couldn't be Leo... could it?

Angelique casted a water shield around us and then turned to me and Piper. She was unscathed, having dodged most attacks. While Piper, who was more inexperienced had multiple bruises and scratches. And me? I'm pretty sure my forehead was bleeding. My purple cloak had been ripped to shreds. And my orange Camp Half-Blood T-shirt didn't help matters.

"We need a game plan, and quick," Angelique said calmly. "I've never been that good at holding defensive shields like these, and I have certainly never tried to hold it against so many angry Roman demigods."

Outside our temporary protection, I could see the romans banging furiously on the shield. Percy, Hazel and Frank were by a water fountain in which Percy was using. Angelique didn't need a direct source as he did.

"I just need my charmspeak to be stronger," Piper muttered frustratedly.

I cursed beneath my breath as I caught the next bad sight. "Angelique," I told her, "look." Armed legionnaires were hurrying toward the forum. Two artillery crews had set up catapults just outside the Pomerian Line and were preparing to fire at the Argo II.

"Fuck," Angelique murmured. Just as she said that, another explosion rocked the forum.

This time the flash of light was directly overhead. One of the Roman catapults had fired, and the Argo II groaned and tilted sideways, flames bubbling over its bronze-plated hull.

I noticed a figure clinging desperately to the rope ladder, trying to climb down. It was Octavian, his robes steaming and his face black with soot.

Angelique grimaced as the Romans redoubled their efforts to break down the shield. "I'll lift you guys with a platform of water," she said grimly. "Then you guys have to stop Leo from firing."

"What about you?" I asked, not liking her plan.

She winced from another attack. "I'll manage."

"No," I said firmly.

"Jason," Piper pleaded. "Angelique's a strong demigod."

"I said no," I repeated stubbornly.

Angelique's dark-brown eyes flashed once with frustration and I involuntarily took a step back.

"I don't have time for argument, I need you two to comply and-" Angelique gasped as she faltered and that was all it took for the Romans to break her last thread of concentration. The shield broke down and the last thing I saw was Angelique's wide eyes as a flying brick headed straight above my eye. I crumpled and blacked out as the ground shook beneath me.