𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐊 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐍𝐀 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓

I FELT LIKE I HAD TO document this moment

I FELT LIKE I HAD TO document this moment. Catching Angelique by surprise is no easy feat. But she did just suffer from a panic attack and picking her up bridal style was sending the wrong message.

When I picked her up, her arms instinctively circled around my neck. Angelique stared up at me with wide eyes for a good three seconds, enough to make red creep up my cheeks. At the sight of that, the teeniest sign of a smirk came upon her face.

"You do realize this how a man brings his lover to his bed?" she murmured.

Now my face was really red, but luckily for me it was dark outside. I cleared my throat. "Sorry, I didn't know how else to pick you up."

I began to walk toward her room and Angelique told me, "I can walk..."

"I'm being chivalrous," I muttered, my face still holding hints of embarrassment.

"Just don't get caught by Coach," she replied. "I doubt he'll listen to our explanations."

As I continued walking, the arms around my neck shifted and the daughter of Poseidon tilted her head to rest on my chest. She sighed, the sound almost content. "Thanks, Jason," she whispered.

Ocean waves and storms. That's what she smelled like. She was invading all my senses and I found myself liking that.

I nudged open her door and quickly set her down on her bed, alarmed at my own thoughts. Angelique sat upright and scooted until her back rested on the headboard. I sat on the edge of her bed and turned my head to look at her.

The Vietnamese girl arched a brow. "I thought you were going to leave. Do you really plan on staying here? I didn't realize you were serious."

This time, I fought off the blush, instead fixing her with my most serious gaze. "Tell me what exactly happened."

All hints of amusement were gone from her eyes, like a candle being snuffed out. Her mask slipped on as easily and instinctively as breathing air. I foolishly thought we were over that, but I was wrong. I didn't blame her though. There were dark things that I wouldn't want to tell anyone too. Yet, I thought, for some reason, I think I would tell her.

But that didn't mean she would want to tell me.

Still, I pushed on, my hand reaching out to hers. As slowly as I could, I rested my hand on top of hers.

"I'm here for you, Angelique," I whispered. "I know that I haven't even known you for over a year but we've been through some deep shit together. Let me help you."

Angelique's deep eyes flickered from my hand resting on hers and back to my gaze. Then she said suddenly and quietly, "You're extremely good-looking. Has anyone told you that?"

She caught me so off-guard without even trying. There were other dangerous things about Angelique than her water manipulation and combat skills, namely, her words. She considered my overheated face with a slight tilt of her head.