Thanksgiving

Three weeks had passed. Tess didn't go out of her way to reach Brian nor was he going out of his way to speak to her. It was two days before thanksgiving and Tess was in her classroom. She was a history teacher at Port Richmond High School.

Before leaving Texas she was applying to teaching jobs like crazy. She had taught at a local school there before she left for four years. She didn't want to go back to New York without something solid already set up.

"Hey Ms. V!" One of her students Edmund said as he walked into her classroom giving her a fist bump. Her being younger then most of the teachers at the high school had its perks. She felt like it was easier to connect with her students.

As the class filled with students she stood in front of the class. "Since todays the last day before thanksgiving break I'm going to make it easy on you guys" she started speaking up while slowly pacing around the front of the class. "Pop Quiz!" She said excitedly as the class groaned and started questioning why she'd do that to them. "I'm kidding..I'm kidding. Easy movie day today."

She walked over shut off the lights and sat at her desk as the students let out sighs of relief. As the movie started she noticing she was growing exhausted. She let out a huge yawn quickly covering her mouth and apologizing to the class. She felt off suddenly. She leaned on her arm while trying to pay attention as her eyes grew heavy as she drifted off to sleep.

She was startled by the sound of the bell ringing. She immediately jumped up hoping no one in her class noticed but was met with 30 pairs of eyes just staring at her. She awkwardly smiled and laughed out of pure embarrassment. As she dismissed her class.

Her drive home was usually long. She was so tired all she could think about was going home and sleeping. As she arrived home she walked into the small apartment and laid down on the couch. As soon as her head hit the couch pillow. By the time she awoke again it was the next morning. She never slept that long in her life. She was groggy and starving.

She got up to make breakfast. As she was cooking her eggs and bacon the smell was horrible. "Jesus Christ how old is this shit" she said as the dumped the food into the garbage. She opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water taking a swig and instantly felt sick to her stomach. She ran to the bathroom and started dry heaving over the toilet. She sat on the floor crying as she texted her sister

Tessa: " there's absolutely no way I'm going to make it to dinner tonight."
Jenna: " dick! Are you trying to get out of helping?!"
Tessa: "NO! I think I caught the flu from school. Please tell mom I'm so sorry."
Jenna: "you owe me HUGE."

At the Vulcano house it was insanity. In the kitchen was Sal's Mom Adele and his step mom Dianne who were both cooking and prepping for dinner. Sals sister Diana was helping out as Jenna walked into the kitchen "so I just heard from Tessie. She thinks she got the flu from one of her students" Jenna said putting her phone on the table and walking over to the sink to wash her hands.

"God this is her first thanksgiving home in years." Dianne said as she peeled potatoes. "After everything I just wanted to give her a good thanksgiving." She said with a worried tone in her voice.

"Maybe she's depressed" Adele piped in. "It's not like she has the same life she did this time last year and that could really hit at the strangest of times especially during the holidays"

"If you ask me she's better off without that douche" Diane chimed into the conversation.

Back at the apartment Tess was just getting out of the shower. She still felt pretty nauseous but nothing has happened for a few hours. She grabbed her knee length flannel robe draping it over her body. She used what little energy she had to blow dry her hair. Her natural curls coming out as the hair became dry. When she finished she walked back into the kitchen taking another bottle of water out and filling up a wine glass with it. She figured since she couldn't handle drinking tonight she could at least pretend.

Back at the Vulcanos dinner was ready. The oldest of the Vulcanos Kelly was having her daughters set the table. At that moment the door opened. In walked Sal and Brian "happy thanksgiving everyone!" They both said in unison. Hugging and kissing the ladies on their cheeks. "Where's Tess?" Sal noticing one of his sisters missing.

"She thinks she got the flu from her class" Dianne said as she was whipping the potatoes.

"Ma thinks she's depressed and hiding at home" Jenna said hugging her brother and then Brian. "Oh Brian sweetheart why don't you stay for dinner." Adele said as she started putting dishes on the table. "Nah I can't. I gotta go to Pennsylvania. See Ma and Pop" Adele nodded knowing that would probably have been the answer "oh sweetie your pies in the garage fridge" Brian didn't want to go to his families empty handed so he asked Sals step mom to make a pie and he'd pay her for it. "Ah yes." He said reaching into his wallet to take out some cash "oh put that away" she said shooing him away "you are one of my sons. You don't pay"

He laughed putting away his wallet and leaning in to kiss Dianne "you are a sweet angel"

"Oh Brian!!" Adele said running to the kitchen "since your headed out why don't you stop at Tessie's and drop off a plate of food." He quickly became uneasy. He knew that she probably didn't want to see him and didn't know if he could deal with the rejection today. "Uh oh I don't know I gotta get on the road" he said trying to use his drive as an excuse. "Oh great idea." Dianne said agreeing with Adele. "It's only a couple blocks away and she probably wouldn't mind someone checking up on her. Brian hesitantly grabbed the plate of food and said his goodbyes.

When he got into his car he put the plate of food on the passenger seat. He started driving towards the highway ignoring the food that sat next to him. At the stoplight he looked down. There it was staring at him. He quickly reached over and grabbed his phone and dialed.

"Ma..."he said while making a U-turn "I'm sorry but there's been a change of plans."

Tess sat on her couch flipping through channels trying to find something to watch. When suddenly she heard a knock on her door.

She figured it was someone from her family coming to check up on her but much to her surprise she opened the door to see Brian.

He was standing there with a plastic bag in one hand and flowers in the other.

"Brian." She said sounding surprised