ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ

This is it

This is it.

This is where she finds peace. Where her body feels so light that she can almost imagine she doesn't exist at all. It's the familiarity that brings Kenna comfort. Her whole life she has walked among others as a ghost. Moving through the motions of life, but not experiencing a damn thing.

How does one exist if they don't know where they came from or where they belong? Kenna has been in and out of different foster homes her whole life. Never wanted or loved the way she deserves. The way she so desperately wants.

Wanted.

Now, she settles for what she believes she deserves. What life has taught her that she deserves.

The cold water ripples around her floating body. It's the cold that shocks her body enough to feel something. The sun is setting over the lake and stealing its warmth with it. She knows she has to leave soon before it gets too dark to walk through the woods.

But, just a little while longer.

Inhaling a deep breath she flips onto her stomach. The water caresses her body as it keeps her afloat. Even with her eyes closed, she can sense the darkness staring back at her. It's a direct reflection of her soul.

Her lungs begin to burn as she continues to hold her breath. She tries to hold on longer. It's silent. It's peaceful.

Until it's not.

Her body is yanked down and then up out of the water.

"Jesus H. Christ! Are you okay?" A panicked voice shouts.

Gasping for air she tries to gather her surroundings. What the fuck. Kenna brushes back the wet hair stuck to her face. The unfamiliar hands around her shoulders are still in place, gripping her tightly. She immediately shoved the stranger away from her. Both of them try to stay above the water.

"Get off of me!"

His hands fly up in surrender. "I thought you were fucking dead!"

Kenna's vision clears and the stranger finally comes into view. Oh, this has to be a joke. It is Eddie Munson. They are in the same math class. Even though she's never spoken to him, she knows who he is. Everyone in Hawkins does. He has a way of making himself visible.

"I'm fine." She hisses through her teeth.

"Are you? What are you doing out here?"

"I'm swimming. What does it look like?" She glares at him.

He arches a brow. "Fully clothed? Not to mention that It's March. A little cold, don't you think?"

There is no denying how strange it seems. But she isn't going to explain herself to a stranger. She doesn't owe him anything. "Were you watching me? What are you doing out here?"