ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴇɴ

Kenna is in and out of consciousness as the car comes to a stop

Kenna is in and out of consciousness as the car comes to a stop. Gareth says something, but she can't hear him. She feels weak, mentally and physically.

A breeze rushes into the car as the back door opens. Kenna covers her face from the sun that is now blinding her.

"Oh, Kenna..." a familiar voice says. "Come here."

She lifts her gaze to the familiar voice, finding Eddie looking back at her. Kenna desperately reaches for him. Eddie pulls her into his arms and starts carrying her toward his trailer. She cries, breaking down now that he's in safe arms.

Eddie holds her tighter as he lightly kicks open the door. "I've got you."

"Did I kill him? Oh, god. I killed him. Eddie, I think I killed him." Kenna says with a shaky voice.

He doesn't tell her it will be okay. He reminds her that she's safe and he's with her. Eddie walks her into his bedroom and goes to put her on his bed, but she doesn't let him go. He sits down on the edge of the bed and allows her to remain in his lap, arms around his neck and breathing heavily against his chest.

"I'm here," Eddie says softly as he strokes her hair.

Gareth walks into the room after turning off the car. Eddie and Gareth look at each other and there is a silent understanding as Gareth walks into the living room to give them space.

She's safe. She knows that now. Eddie continues to stroke her hair as he starts slowly rocking side to side, whispering in her ear that it's okay. He is here. It's the first time she's ever truly been comforted. It's a feeling she never wants to let go of. She wants to make a home in Eddie's arms and never leave.

____________

"We need to find those freshmen and make sure they don't talk about what they saw. No one can know Kenna was involved." Eddie sighs as he brushes his thumb over Kenna's hand.

It's been five hours since Kenna fell asleep in Eddie's arms. He tucked her into his bed and hasn't left her side since.

"We can look for them tomorrow. I remember what they look like." Gareth leans against the doorframe watching Eddie stare at Kenna with sorrowful eyes.

Kenna's eyes flutter open. Eddie shifts on the edge of the bed, sitting up straighter. Her eyes meet his and he gives her a soft smile. She smiles back, but it disappears as everything floods back to her. Her eyes dart around the room in a panic.

"Everything is fine. You're safe. I'm here." Eddie says softly as his hand cups her cheek.

"Did I..." she trails off, unable to form the words. The image of Billy's unmoving body flashes in her mind.

"No. He's in the hospital though." Gareth says from the bedroom door.

Kenna looks at Gareth and nods, taking in the information as new questions start to rise. Exhaustion is still weighing her down. Eddie brushes his thumb over her hand.