ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

Eddie almost skips inside the convenience store

Eddie almost skips inside the convenience store. He looks like a child running into a candy store. Kenna follows behind him. She looks around to see if anyone is watching them. The cashier stares at them as they walk in and Eddie tips his invisible hat in their direction.

This is the Eddie she's seen at school. The carefree, outspoken, unapologetically him —Eddie Munson. Everything Kenna is not.

He grabs the largest cup on the counter and hands it to Kenna. "Ladies first." He steps aside, revealing the slushie machine.

Kenna watches the bright colors spin in circles in the machine. She can't remember the last time she had a slushie. There are three options for flavor and she can't remember which one she likes. She's indecisive and it's showing.

Wild Cherry.

Coca-Cola.

Blue Raspberry.

The blue raspberry was out of service. At least that helps her narrow down the choice.

"You don't have to deny yourself the pleasure of both. Look," Eddie grabs Kenna's cup and places it under the Wild Cherry. "Fill the bottom with one and the top with the other." The cup fills halfway with wild Cherry and he slides it under the Coca-Cola spout.

"Both?" Kenna asks.

"Both." He smirks and hands her the filled cup, sliding a straw through the lid.

She stares at the cup. "I don't really like mixing flavors."

"You'll like this."

She's hesitant, but Eddie gives her an encouraging look. He watches her take a sip. A small smile slowly forms on Kenna's lips, but she tries to hide it. It almost feels wrong to be smiling —to find joy in something.

"Okay...that is good." She admits.

He smirks. "I told you." He grabs his cup and fills it up with both Cherry and Coca-Cola. "Don't worry, you'll learn to trust me." He says before walking to the counter to pay for their drinks.

Eddie is confident and so sure about himself. It's not the same way Billy carries himself. It's genuine and authentic. His confidence isn't fueled by insecurities and self-hatred. But maybe that's why she feels a sense of relatability with Billy. She strives to be like Eddie, but she can't hide the fact that her damaged soul reflects Billy's.

________

"Absolutely not," Kenna says, staring up at Eddie.

He's standing on the hood of his van with an outstretched hand. She was perfectly fine with sitting in the van as normal people do, but no. Things are not normal when it comes to Eddie Munson.

"Jesus Christ. Live a little, Kenna. I promise you won't burst into flames." He wiggles his fingers impatiently waiting.

"If I fall and break my neck, I'll kill you." She grabs his hand.