ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sᴇᴠᴇɴ

Kenna's eyes drop to their hands

Kenna's eyes drop to their hands. Intertwining together like their souls ache to be. Eddie's hand is so soft in hers, it's all she can think about. Or all she's trying to think about. Her heart and head are at war, and it's slowly destroying her from the inside out.

It's difficult to see what's right and wrong at this moment. She is caught between her life before and after Eddie. And Her life doesn't look like hers anymore. The boyfriend she had is not who she thought...well, who she wanted him to be, the places she once found comfort in are now formed into a person, the mask she's worn all her life is starting to fall, and it's all too much. Too much to process. Too soon to adjust to.

Eddie is looking at her with those eyes, those fucking eyes. They are filled with questions that she's not ready to answer, not ready to face. She doesn't want to face reality tonight. She just wants to wrap up in his comfort and security, and not think about what's next. Just one night. Kenna just wants one night where she feels safe without someone needing something in return. Maybe that makes her selfish, but she can't give Eddie what he wants —even if she tries. How can she when she feels like half a person?

"Can we..." Kenna whispers, shaking her head. She can't meet his eyes, so she stares at their hands. His thumb brushed over her skin. "Can we play pretend a little longer? I can't —" she swallows back the emotions that are rising in her throat.

Before she can finish her sentence, Eddie brings her hand to his lips, softly leaving a kiss on her skin. "Whatever you want. Tell me what you need." His voice is gentle and calm.

Kenna finally meets his gaze. "Can you stay with me tonight?"

A vulnerable question that leaves Kenna feeling bare. The wait between her question and his answer feels like an eternity. Her insecurities are telling her to look away from him, but she doesn't. The air between them is slowly strangling her.

"Yes." He breaths.

One word brings a rush of relief over Kenna. She tries to conceal it from her face. She's not sure if he noticed because she looks away turning to walk out of the bathroom. His hand is still in hers as she guides him to her bedroom.

___________

Eddie is greeted by the moonlight peeking through the window, the only light illuminating Kenna's bedroom. She locks the bedroom door and turns to face him.

Their faces are barely visible to one another, but he could recognize her through the deepest depths of the earth –in absolute darkness, guided only by her voice and scent.

Eddie was seven years old when he first heard Kenna's voice, a little different than it is now, but that's not what captivated him. It was the way she smelled like Christmas, like freshly baked sugar cookies, vanilla and peppermint, and fresh-cut evergreen. But most importantly, it was her eyes that he will always remember.