Chapter 3

"I didn't mean to annoy you. I think aloud often. Although painful, your tip has helped with the circulation in my hands. Thank you." The Ambassador apologized behind her, his voice genuine and honest.

He had... thanked her? Peering in the darkness, Dev frowned. She hadn't done anything worth his apology or his gratitude.

"So, while we're on the subject of apologizing, I would like to say sorry for trying to touch you last time. That was insensitive of me. I didn't mean to freak you out; I've simply never been around people who couldn't communicate verbally before. That's not really a reason to touch you, however. So, I'm sorry that I made you uncomfortable."

How did he know that she couldn't communicate verbally instead of wouldn't? She forced herself to remain unbothered. He was a lot more perceptive than she had given him credit for. That, in itself, was terribly dangerous.

A branch cracked northwest of their position. Dev's hand blinked to the sword on her hip.

"What's wrong?" The Ambassador's voice shattered through the silence of the woods.

Dev grinded her teeth together. Why couldn't he just shut up? She wasn't used to hearing voices through her ears and it disturbed her. The words were distorted, almost painful. Also, distracting.

A swift sweep of the snow snapped her eyes to the right. They had company, a fast one. Dev lowered her stance, slowly unsheathing her sword. The flaming red blade illuminated the dark woods. The Ambassador's mouth moved behind her and she quickly raised her hand to stop him. Thankfully, whatever words almost spilled from his mouth remained locked behind his lips.

She had to position herself between the creature and him. Unharmed. The King's orders resonated. Normally, she would've continued charging through. Whatever creature would've sensed the dominant steps and would not have attacked. The Ambassador's unsure presence must've attracted it. Or his loud babbling mouth did.

A shadow shifted through the trees. Dev twirled her blade out of anticipation. The creature was small but that wasn't comforting. Everything in the forest had evolved to survive whether it be the cold itself or bigger creatures. An orange streak of fur appeared to their left. A small fox creature appraised them. Taking a deep breath, Dev shifted her position to remain in front of Ambassador Amory.

She could've lunged for the creature straight away, but something held her back. Showing too much of her power wouldn't be good. If the Amory House found out the secret powerhouse species living in the mountain range, they would no doubt launch an attack. Drakons had never been interested in war.

"Aw, how cute-..." before he could finish his sentence, the fox opened its mouth and a large tentacle-like tongue shot out.

Swift as lightning, Dev arced her sword, cutting the tongue as it tried to shoot past her shoulder. The Ignis Blade sizzled the slice. A horrible screech escaped the fox, retracting its injured tongue. The moment the burnt injury touched its mouth, it shrieked again. Red streaks formed around the fox's muzzle. They pulsed and spread like bolts.

"What the fu-..." she snapped her head towards him, distracted by the sound.

She met his shocked caramel eyes when she noticed another tongue darting towards him from behind. Pushing her strength through her legs, Dev tackled the Ambassador to the ground. Not quick enough. The sharp tentacle snapped through the leather between the scales of her armor. Vicious pain shot straight into her arm as they collapsed against the snow, the Ambassador grunting underneath her.

The tongue whipped behind her head, heading straight for her again. This time, she was prepared as she grabbed the tendril in front of her and pulled. The fox creature soared through the night to meet with her blade. Before it could screech from the pain, she retracted her sword to beheaded it. Blood sprayed around them and on the Ambassador lying beneath her. He gagged as the blood dripped on his immaculate navy jacket, the fox head rolling away.