Chapter 21

What in the fucking hells was Emelious thinking appointing her as leader on this mission. It seemed clear to everyone but him how unstable these times were. Immediately after leaving the heavy room, Dev bolted to another room and slammed the door shut.

Krystal's hard bangs hurt her already pounding head. "Dev, let's talk."

Leave me a moment to fucking breathe. Dev ran nails in her scalp.

Steps shifted away from the door, Krystal stayed but at least the horrid banging stopped.

I know shit is not going well, Dev. But you can't break right now.

The chasm in Dev's chest spread, devouring the light that had been created by the sight of her mate.

We need you to use this to face what's going to happen.

Krystal...

Grief was a funny thing. In her home, she had felt numb. Sometimes furious but mostly numb. But now that she was out, encased in vibrating and loud walls, a threat looming on the horizon, the sight of her mate threatening to keel her forward, she felt herself shattering. Exhaustion overtook her mind, willing for her to run, to hide, to do anything but face what lay in that deep chasm in her chest.

I need to get out of here. She whispered to her dear friend.

The sound of a slumped body knocked against the door.

Dev, please breathe.

I can't.

A wave of love and comfort hit her in the chest. It was not soft but forceful. The impact of the emotion knocked her to the ground. Strangely, the coldness of these strange floors helped her focus on something other than her soul threatening to swallow her whole.

Slowly but surely, with the ground pressed against her cheek, with the incessant waves of love and warmth from her friend, her lungs relented. What had initially felt like shadows clinging to her organs were in fact cramping lungs wishing for air.

In and out.

In and out.

Perhaps Krystal was helping count her breathing. Perhaps she was going mad and counting herself. It mattered little. Finally, she closed her eyes and willed her lungs to breathe. She clung to the familiarity of that warmth caressing her blood, replacing the chill of her panic until her mind went to rest on its own.

Dev had no idea how long she had remained unconscious on the floor, but when she awoke, her mind was much clearer. Or, more accurately, a fog had wrapped itself around her emotions. Her panic from earlier now felt distant.

She hadn't bothered trying to light the room when she had entered, other more pressing matters cluttering her mind.

She found she quite liked waking up to darkness. Their lights were far too bright to her liking. Dev cracked her neck as she straightened and took in the room. It was identical to the one they had been in with the Ambassador.

She knew she had to speak with him. Before everything else went to shit, she had to give herself that. Without other prying eyes around, spewing secrets they had no business unveiling. She scowled. That fucking ass would get beat to all hells next time they trained together. What had he been thinking saying that? It was her secret to share, not Travis's.

Mind made, she exited the room. The Ambassador had suggested against going out in the city but not about exploring this building. Her feet had a mind of their own. Everything surrounding her felt strange. Down to the very materials used to build this place, she didn't recognize anything. All it reminded her was how cloistered they had been.