A Piercing Pain

Isadora kept on wondering what he meant by serving the mistresses for a week. Had he meant that she was to serve the mistresses if she wanted to adopt the little witch or she was to do that as a punishment for her being outspoken? It wasn't her fault she loved talking, especially when it was needful.

She kept quiet as she kept walking beside Elvis who seemed as silent as she was. They walked down the stairs one of the mistresses had passed the other time. For a moment, she wondered if what Elvis said was right. Or she was wondering why the lady she met was his lordship's favourite and why she was no longer his favourite.

Though she agreed that a lady like her could make someone fall in love with her but what would have made someone fall out of love with her? She felt so strange that she was concerned about it but then another thought about respecting whoever the lordship cares about most justified her being concerned. At least, one was wise enough to know that not going against a ruler's favourite woman or wife was one thing one should heed to be saved.

She stylishly looked at Elvis who was beside her but some inches in the front of her. His cold face remained just the same as it was that she could not tell nor imagine what he was thinking of right now.

She removed her gaze and focused on the corridor, a slight change made her stop in her tracks, "El...vis, there had not been a door there..." She said, eyeing him for a second and then transferring her gaze to a large door that was in the front of her. She felt that she passed this place the other time and there was no door. She was sure of that. How was that possible?

"There had been. You had been so exhausted that you felt there was no need to be concerned about anything except hearing from my lord and retreating to your chamber," he paused. His sudden posture changed as he shifted his head to stare at her quizzically, "and why then do you seem concerned about an entrance that has always been there just now?"

She was awestruck. His words didn't seem to hit her brain as she struggled to understand what he meant by that. They were both still standing, in a corridor that was sucked in dim light. No sign of humans except them. No sign of anyone she knew. She was in a very strange place. Forced to be alone. Departed from Oswald. She just couldn't get why she was just thinking about this right now.

Elvis' gaze didn't leave hers as he continued, "Or... or you were too intoxicated to meet the old man that you forgot wherever you trampled underfoot?"

Isadora remained completely speechless. It was true that she wanted to see the old man she was alleged to be betrothed to but she wasn't in haste and at the same time she was in haste because she thought the little witch would be killed if she didn't do something so fast. She had not recovered from the shock before she heard Elvis continue, "Or you are jealous that ..."

The immediate second the word jealous left his throat, her eyes widened as they slowly narrowed, blurting, "Jealous? And why would I be jealous of her?"

She wasn't even close to that.

"Why wouldn't you? Every maiden is jealous of her, so what makes you an exemption?" He appeared curious but deep down he wasn't, he was trying to find out something or verify if what he had previously sensed in her was true.

"Well, I am not every maiden. And I would never be jealous of a lady. Why would I?" She furrowed her eyebrows. They were walking but she wasn't even aware. Isadora didn't know she was too imprisoned in the idea than she should be. 'Jealously' was an attribute she hated with a passion. She knew that only that specific word had created enmity between her and the Queens and even other princesses she had seen, she always disagreed she possessed something as horrible as that.

"Forget it."

It was the last word she heard from him that night. When she reached his chamber, it had appeared that a maid was already waiting to lead her to her chamber which was opposite his chamber. She didn't want to talk or disagree with anyone anymore. She was hungry and she felt unusually dirty. For some unknown reason, she couldn't feel the pain in her legs anymore but the pain deep in her heart seemed it would be forever stuck there.

The maiden helped her with her dress and she took a hot shower. After a while, she was served light food before she finally retreated to her bed. At least she could sleep for thirty to one hour before the morning draw so near or at least if they were nice enough they could make her rest peacefully for a day.

She was beyond tired.

Her new maid whose name was Amber bowed to her as she locked the door.

She for the first time in three days felt relaxed.

After some minutes, she jotted awake. She was disturbed as she felt that there was a sudden knock on her door. She tossed the cloth used to wrap her body to the other side as she walked to the door but when she heard no voice, she walked back to her bedchamber to sleep. She must have just been terrified or it must have been as a result of her tiredness that she was imagining something fictitious.

She slowly pulled her leg to the bed but when another round of knocks extended on her door, she smoothly rose on her feet and walked towards the door.

She pulled the door open as it was unlocked and stared at the blank space to see no one. She was sure that she heard some incoherent noises. She was even more sure that someone definitely was behind the door and she wasn't just imagining things just like she had imagined back then with Elvis.

She closed the door as she looked around, seeing two candles, a little satisfied as there was still enough candle to be burnt down so that she wouldn't be suddenly left in the darkness.

She stared at Elvis's door and thought he could be the one but why was he hiding?

She walked opposite to where she was standing and saw herself at the front of his door, her hands coiled themselves to knock but a soft call of her name made her jot back.

By this time, she knew who it was. It was her new maid. She noticed that the new maid assigned to her called her, "Princess Isadora" compared to anyone else.

She breathed deeply and called as she walked away from Elvis' door, "Amber... I'm here. Why do you call..."

Before she could complete her words, a sudden black structure leaped over her and she yelped as she felt a sudden load on her shoulders followed by a piercing pain in her neck.