Speciation

Things started to change once more. With a little one on the way, both parents were working (while Grillby still could work with a baby in his womb) hard to have the G to feed and house the three of them. Things started to get rearranged for a child, new furniture was brought in like a cradle, children's amusement items and clothes were bought and stored. The kitchen, especially, started to get locked up, the knives draw had a literal lock installed into it so Grillby would feel better about the baby not getting into such sharp tools when it was older. One place that was most certainly locked up and the child wouldn't be allowed was Wingdings lab. He had some dangerous chemicals in there, so that decision was unanimous, not that he had been doing much science lately with preparation for their future son or daughter. It would be worth it, though, to see their child. Would she be more skeleton or more fire elemental? Would she be a monster of science like Wingdings or a monster of talent like Grillby or something totally different and new and lovable? The to be parents couldn't wait to find out.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

"You are growing, my dear~" Wingdings wrapped his arms around Grillby, a hand rested on the baby bump that was starting to become more prominent. Grillby rested his hands on his lovers for a moment before removing them to sign. "So it seems, Dings." Wingdings scoffed softly and leaned his foreskull into Grillby's shoulder as he focused an the small vibrations of the soullings pulse. It felt strong and healthy. That, in turn, made him happy. Grillby shifted and turned, recapturing his deaf lover's attention. "I need to get to work, I'll be home before dark." The pair shared a kiss before Grillby left to get more G for food and clothes. That Grillby, he wouldn't be able to stay put, even once he was on leave, Wingdings was almost certain of it. The scientist decided to head out himself to check the snares he'd put up in the surrounding woods. He'd been selling pelts for G, and with the approaching winter, they were selling for a fine price. Especially to the more cold-blooded monsters that passed through the town. Naturally, the humans wanted nothing to do with his business, but what did that matter?

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Days became weeks. Weeks became months. The winter set in and left. Grillby only grew rounder as the baby got bigger. The shape had become more skeleton in nature. It seemed that she was going to be more like Wingdings, species wise. Grillby couldn't have been happier with this development. He loved his big skeleton and now he had a little skeleton to love as well. His little... "Is it a boy or a girl..?" Grillby questioned Wingdings. Wingdings was more than happy to come and take a look himself. "Judging by the structure of her frame, I'd say we have a little girl on our hands- or more appropriately- in your womb." Grillby smiled and kissed his belly. "A little Amiri, hm?" Wingdings blinked and frowned a bit. "Are you absolutely sure you want to go with a font? Ignite is just as beautiful a name, you know." He rubbed Wingdings hand softly. "I love the names you skeletons have, they are so unique. Besides... Amiri fits her." Wingdings smiled once more. "Alright, if you insist... she is our baby Amiri then..." The family snuggled together, Amiri kicking on occasion as if telling them she was there too.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

It was just before sunrise when Amiri decided to come into the world. The birth had went smoothly, then again, how could it go wrong when the "mother" was living, breathing fire with a soul. Amiri was strong as healthy as Wingdings had predicted and looked nearly identical to a full-blooded skeleton monster. The only thing that showed otherwise was the skull of purple flames that served as her hair. Amiri was a intelligent child who quickly picked up the meanings of words like no, yes, nap, and hungry. She... wasn't a napper. She cried for hours when it came to laying her down for one. She would rather explore her surroundings and play with her toys than take something as stupid as a nap. She liked meal time. Grillby always made the best mashed mixtures for a curious hybrid like herself and always was sure to mix his magic within so she was getting the right nutrients and magic for her. In short, Grillby and Wingdings loved their baby, and though it would be short-lived, they cherished every moment of raising her together.

3 chapters left