Desensitization

Wingdings was behind Grillby, ready to pull him way if the water became too much. Today was the day that he face his phobia head on. "You've got this, it's just a few dishes. I will do the rest." Wingdings promised. Grillby gulped and nodded as he made sure the gloves fit on correctly, going right up to his elbows. "When you are ready." Grillby inhaled and closed his eyes before plunging his hands into the water. Wingdings smiled. "You're doing it Grillbz." The Elemental cracked open an eye. "M-my hands are in the water! They are actually in the water!" Wingdings chuckled at Grillby's bewilderment. "Yes they are, good job!" He praised his lover. Wingdings rubbed his back as Grillby started to wash a few of the dishes. "I'm so proud." Wingdings praised. Grillby pressed a couple kisses to Wingdings jaw and cheekbones, eyeing the water as he did so. He was still nervous of it, Wingdings could understand it. It would take time for his long time phobia to fully fade, but this was a good start.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

"I can't believe I actually touched water! I feel so shocked and happy!" Grillby signed as Wingdings finished the dishes looking highly amused. "I am proud of you Grillby. It is a very good start." Grillby hugged Wingdings tightly. Wingdings didn't know what Grillby was saying, but he could feel the vibrations. He imagined it was some sort of thank you which was pretty unnecessary in Wingdings opinion, but appreciated nonetheless. "We will build up to going outside in rain or snow. First this victory is yours." Wingdings kissed Grillby, something that still made his soul flutter excitedly. He loved having Grillby close like this. Sometimes he wanted to take it further, but he knew that was the oxytocin talking. The chemical that gave humans and monsters the pleasure sensation. He wasn't ready for that yet. Neither of them were. "I-I'm going to make food-" The pink tipped flames were enough to tell Wingdings that he was feeling it too. Perhaps it was... dangerous to live together. Even if it was just for the winter. "Wingdings, want to cook with me?" Then again, they both were great at restraint. They could keep their love life nonsexual. "I'm coming Grillby!" Wingdings crossed the kitchen to help his (literally) hot lover.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Day by day Grillby would do some dishes. Little by little he got more comfortable around water. The snow was starting to melt and give into spring, making both boys officially eighteen, Wingdings birthday having been in the summer and Grillby's having been in the winter. "I-I don't want to go outside anymore. That's... too much water." Wingdings held Grillby close as they stared at the muddy puddles. The plan had been for Grillby to take a small walk in the snow, but the day turned out much warmer than expected. "We don't have to. This was not what you were ready for." Wingdings agreed. He closed the door so Grillby didn't have  to see the watery minefield and turned to the table to grab the cards. "Want to build a castle?" Grillby smiled. "I am a master card castle builder! Let us build a sturdy fortress!" Grillby agreed immediately. The couple started the careful construction of their card castle. "Wingdings, will we be a couple until we get old and pass on from this world?" Wingdings pressed against Grillby. "I assume so, unless something major happens, I see nothing tearing us apart." Grillby smiled. "Then I hope nothing major happens."

⚜️⚜️⚜️

The puddles lessened, giving Wingdings the chance to coax Grillby outside in his waterproof boots. He even had the umbrella just in case. "I've got you Grillbz, focus on me, the water won't touch you." He guided Grillby through a few puddles, small and shallow ones for Grillby's comfort. "And you're through." Grillby paused. "I am?" Wingdings chuckled and nodded. "You are. Look for yourself." Grillby did to see they'd crossed at least four or five shallow puddles. "I... I walked through water... without getting harmed!" Wingdings found himself once more in Grillby's grasp- not that he was complaining- as his lover thanked him for no particular reason. Wingdings merely smiled lightly and patted Grillby's back. He gave his lover a kiss, which became heated rather quickly. But Wingdings remembered himself quickly, and pulled away. "N-not in public, please..." Grillby looked around before  looking at Wingdings apologetically. "I'm sorry my love, it seems I've gotten carried away." Wingdings shook his head. "All is well. Would you like to go through on your own now? I will be right behind you." Grillby gulped and steeled himself. "I will." Wingdings was right behind him as promised as they went home.