The Market Job

Grillby spent his winter in the house, ignorant of the cold since he was his own heat source. Eventually though, winter gave in to spring and the snow melted, making the outside even more dangerous to the likes of Grillby. He avoided even stepping out. He could last with what provisions he had. Finally spring gave into summer and Grillby did leave. He needed a job if he was going to stay here. He would need more G to pay for his place of living and food. Unfortunately for him, this village ran on traveling taverns, not permanent ones. The only place that was permanent here, was its main market. It was really Grillby's only choice if he was going to stay. So Grillby went to the market. There was a deer like monster at the counter as he approached. "Excuse me. Is there a position open here?" The deer monster leaned on the counter. "You wanna work here? Those traveling jobs pay more these days, you know." Grillby did know that. He knew it well. "I don't wish to travel." The deer hummed. "I see... well then, I have a great many positions open for you."

⚜️⚜️⚜️

He was shown around the market, shown where everything was so he could help customers. He was shown the back were he could restock the supply in front if it was out of something. He was shown the price list of everything. He had a good memory though, so he was sure he wouldn't need it long. He was shown the G pouch and the notebook in which to inventory everything bought so that when counting the G, they would know that none was stole by the employees. Grillby was an honest monster, though they didn't know that. He would abide by the rules of the market. "I believe that is everything then. Tomorrow I'd like you to come in and watch me work." Grillby nodded immediately. "Of course, what time?" He did not want to be late. "How about ten? Yes... yes come in at ten. That's when things start to pick up around here."
"Very well sir, I will be here at that time." Grillby agreed. With that said and done, Grillby returned home. It was easier than he imagined to find a job around here. He was a bit nervous, but he was good with others. He would be fine.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Grillby came early the next day. Five hours early. The stag was fast asleep in the back, the G hidden for the night since the store didn't have a lock on it for whatever reason. That worried him, but Grillby knew how to defend himself. It would be fine. He decided to restock the front for his boss. He wiped down the counter, washed the windows, swept the floor, and reorganized the shelves before the stag came tromping in, surprised. "You're very early." He pointed out as he looked around at the teenager's handiwork. "I was bored, so I decided to clean up. I hope it is to your satisfaction." The stag looked at him. "It is quite impressive. Well then, I suppose you are hungry?" Grillby shook his head. "I made breakfast before I got here, thank you though." The stag hummed as he headed to the back. "Well I must eat yet-"
"I will make you something if I can, sir." He peered at the Elemental, sighed, and nodded. "Alright, let's see what you can do." Grillby took into account the diet of a deer as he made breakfast for the stag.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

The first customer came while the stag was eating and Grillby happened to be up front. It was the Skeleton he had seen the summer before. For a moment he stared at Grillby, making the monster's soul pick up out of nervousness. Why was he staring? Then he headed for the spices section. Grillby hesitated to approach. Perhaps he needed assistance though, and that was part of Grillby's job. So he maneuvered around the counter and followed him, catching up in time to hear him speak outloud, his hands moving in strange gestures. "Stars, where in the stars is the rosemary now.." Grillby located the spice quickly and showed it to the Skeleton. "Here you are sir, would you like help with anythi-" Grillby was cut off by the Skeleton as he stared at him. "Thank you sir, but I'm afraid I can't hear you. If you would like to communicate with me, learn this please." Grillby was handed a sheet of paper which he looked over. He recognized them as some sort of sign language which made sense since the Skeleton was deaf. "I apologize, I was simply trying to help." Grillby signed slowly. "It's fine. I'm Wingdings Gaster. Would you mind continuing to assist me?" The Elemental perked and nodded, slowly introducing himself. "I am Grillby, I'd be happy to help you."