A New Home

Grillby was helping with a family of spice gatherers this year around. They were an elderly couple of humans, young by monster standards, but Grillby didn't care. The sixteen year old was actually rather curious as to why human lifespans were shorter, but Gwyneth and Edgar had about as much a clue as he. They did, however, teach him plenty about spices while he traveled from village to village with them. He learned their similarities, their differences, where to find them, how to collect wild spices, how to plant ones own spices, and of course how to treat the spices. It really added to Grillby's cooking pallet. The couple truly enjoyed the dishes the young teenager would concoct with what they had. This couple in particular he'd stayed with for nearly two years since he started traveling with the Summer Market Trains. They were somewhat like grandparents to him. It was honestly too bad this was going to be their last year at the market before they headed east for their retirement. He really didn't want them to go, but they'd worked the markets for years. They deserved the rest of their lifespan. This meant that head either have to find a new train to work for, or find a place to settle.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

The first time he saw the Skeleton, he was counting G for the couple. He'd seen plenty of monsters of many different species over the past few years, but a Skeleton? He never knew such a monster existed. He seemed to he of Grillby's age too, which also seemed rare to the flame monster. There was a history to him, his hands had literal holes in the palm. Grillby wondered what could have happened. The Skeleton was a scholar of some sort, carried around books and papers. Though Grillby only saw him once and didn't interact with him at all whatsoever, he liked to think that that Skeleton's life was a exciting and fascinating one. That he was somebody who was going to do great things one day because he believed he could and he would. Grillby had no such ambition. He had enough excitement in his life at his hometown. He wanted a simple life as a simple monster with patrons as loyal as Rocksha's were. He wouldn't allow corrupt beings into his establishment, and he would be the friend, comforter, or guardian that others needed.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

"Grillby, would you be a dear and get the sage from the cart for me?" Grillby bowed, ever the silent type, and went to their cart to retrieve more sage as asked. It has been a popular herb in this town as of late, no doubt they would run out soon. Which would honestly be upsetting because that would mean they would have to move on and Grillby quite liked this village. It's people were friendly for being a bigger town. It wasn't without its share of poverty, but even the smallest villages had people on its streets. Such was the sad way of life. Of Grillby wasn't at the brink of poverty himself, he would help them. Sometimes he did if he had food to spare. Grillby shook out of his thoughts and placed the sage in its designated spot on the market table. "Oh thank you dear boy, you are such a sweetheart." Grillby was praised for the simple task. It made the tips of his flames flush pink with embarrassment. The praise was good though, he preferred it over the pain that he'd been through. He would rather live with embarrassment any day.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Grillby was handed the key to their temporary quarters that fall. "It is yours now, dear one." He blinked, surprised by what he was hearing. "What..?" Edgar chuckled. "We noticed how much you enjoyed it here, so we are giving you the house. It was already paid for throughout the winter as well, but come spring, you should get a new job, Grillby." He warned. "Be a good boy, find someone to love and live your dreams." He almost felt like crying. Did he deserve this? "Thank you so much, I will be the best man I can be." He promised. "I will try to do what is right. You both have a good time in the east. Enjoy your away time." The Gwyneth patted his hand as she wobbled over to her husband. "This is goodbye boy, you enjoy every second of your life as if it may be your last, because you never know." Grillby nodded, knowing that there was truth to that simple sentence. "I will. Thank you for having me Lady Gwyneth and Sir Edgar."
"Always treating us like high-class citizens, he is such a good boy Edgar..." Gwyneth said as they let Grillby be.