Maladaptive Grief

The King did stop the war from happening, but the tension between the humans and monsters was high. There was a rift now- segregation between species. Monsters stayed with monsters, humans stayed with humans and if one did cross into another's 'territory' they had their separate bathrooms, restaurants, and streets all together to keep them as separate as possible. Any that left the designated area were arrested or killed on sight. Those who were arrested never came back, having been found guilty of their 'crime' and not surviving their imprisonment. If they did, rumors went around that they were sold off for whatever reason. There was nothing the King could do about that. Monsters started to wisely avoid human towns for the sake of their lives and freedom. Grillby tried to keep Wingdings updated on the goings on of the world. He wasn't sure if his lover listened, Wingdings was so angry. Angry towards Kazar. He never turned his anger in Grillby, but he certainly wasn't the skeleton that he'd fallen in love with. Grillby could only imagine how Wingdings felt, he only wished he could help him through this... whatever it was he was suffering through.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

He had to get groceries for the house. He didn't like leaving Wingdings alone. He was unpredictable when he was alone. While Wingdings was in his... well Grillby didn't want to call it fragile, but that's exactly what it was. Wingdings was very fragile right now. His mind was. Therefore Grillby was doing all the work. He didn't mind it at all, he liked taking care of Wingdings. He was just so easy to set off. So easy to make him mad or throw him in a state of denial. He knew there was a word for this state Wingdings was in. When someone couldn't properly grieve and were stuck in the denial and anger stages. He would help Wingdings out of this, the same way Wingdings helped him through his fears. Much patience and nudging through the stages properly. Mostly through, it was time that would be the key. Wingdings needed time to get better. Time and understanding. Something he could do. Something he had to do. "Good morning." He greeted as he entered the market, gathering what he needed to last another week or more. He couldn't take too long, he didn't want to keep his Dings waiting.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

"It's my fault it's my fault it's my fault..." Here they went again, this song and dance once more. Grillby left the groceries to console his troubled lover. "Shh Dings shh, it wasn't your fault. You couldn't have known..." Wingdings whimpered. "I should have been around more, I could've-" Grillby shook his head. "No, that wouldn't have changed a thing, you know that..." He hugged Wingdings, letting him cling like a child. The Elemental merely rubbed his lover's skull. "I'm here, Wingdings, it's ok..." The reassurances kept coming. Wingdings was slowly calming down. They were getting somewhere in his grief... at least he wasn't breaking things anymore. The first week was the worst. Wingdings had trashed the bedroom in a fit of rage then broke down sobbing. Definitely not his mate's finest moment, and it wouldn't be his first fit either, but Grillby wasn't going to leave him because of it. He had to preservere, help Wingdings move on... and he had, it seemed. Three months and he'd finally exhausted his anger and denial moved on to depression. "I hate him." Or maybe not. "No, you don't." Grillby replied. "I'm fairly certain I do, how could he-" Here they go again.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Now Grillby was tired. Six months of this back and forth between an okish state and the anger and he was on his last ropes. He was sick of it, his patience finally running thin. Six months was an unbelievably long time, and while he could understand needing time, this was just getting insane... "Have I ever told you how much I appreciate you?" Grillby looked up at Gaster from the couch. His expression was tired and weary. Wingdings didn't blame him. "You are still here after six months of my nonsense. It is very commendable. I am grateful."
"You say that as if you are finally done with said nonsense?" Grillby could only hope. "I realize how unfair I have been to you... I am trying to, ah, cool down. I should not be angry." Grillby smiled a bit. "Oh thank the stars... you have finally gained some sense-" Wingdings chuckled as he joined his lover on the couch. Wingdings leaned into Grillby. "I am trying to." He replied. "That's all I ask." The couple shared a sweet kiss.