Chapter Two - Roller Rink

I awoke the next morning to the smell of bacon and coffee, I quickly got dressed and put my hair in a bun and headed downstairs to see Lara making breakfast. Lei was already sitting in the living room, trying on a pair of black and white roller skates. A song I couldn't remember the name of was blaring through the kitchen on the radio, Lara sung along as she piled three plates with waffles and bacon. She handed me my plate smiling, and I took it and went to sit in the living room with Lei.

"Where'd you get those?" I asked, watching her untie the knots in the laces.

"Lara lent them to me"

"There's another pair in the closet for you too, Dawn." She smiled and headed out the front door to get the car.

An hour later we got to the roller rink, and me and Lei got some premium passes so we could access the roller rink without getting name tags or paying fees.

I got off the bench after tying the laces on my roller skates, and offered my hand to help Lei off the bench. I laughed as she immediately fell over, and I helped her up.

"Hey stop laughing, me and wheels do not go well together!" She shook her head smiling, and we skated into the rink. We held hands in case one of us fell and continued skating around the rink, I started spinning and held onto her hand, which forced her to spin with me and she let out a scream.

"ONE OF THESE DAYS I'M GONNA-"

"Hurt me? I know!" I finished her sentence and laughed, I let go of her hand and rolled across the rink away from her. I looked behind me as she stood there glaring at me, and then broke into a fast pace and skated towards me. She slipped and landed on her butt, and slid into me knocking me over. I fell backwards onto someone behind me, and they fell over as well.

"Sorry!" I said to the person behind me, unable to see them and keep my laughter at bay.

"It's okay!" They got up from behind me and grabbed my hand, helping me up. I looked over at Lei as she stood up and looked at who helped us up.

"I'm gonna go get some food, be back soon." She said, which I think was her way of avoiding awkwardness.

"Okay!" I watched her roll out of the rink, and turned to the person in front of me that helped us.

"Sorry again, we can be kind of reckless. We didn't mean to fall onto you."

"It's okay, seriously don't worry about it, I found it funny." They said.

And then I realized how beautiful they were. How beautiful she is. She had eyes the color of the ocean. Her hair was a light lavender, and it was long and wavy. Her hair fell into place beautifully, and her bangs stopped at her eyebrows. She was wearing a white tank top that outlined her upper body perfectly, she had a denim jacket on top, and she wore black skinny jeans along with white Keds.

Her eyes. Oh her eyes.

I could get lost in them.

I snapped out of my daydream as she waved her hand in my face.

"You okay?" She asked, her voice sounding almost like a song.

"Y-Yeah! Sorry, I daydream a lot. I'm Dawn!" I said, offering my hand to shake hers.

"I'm Nova, it's nice to meet you!" She shook my hand, and it felt like the softest thing I've ever felt.

I looked over at Lei and she motioned for us to join her in a booth.

"Wanna come sit with us?" I asked smiling, and she nodded.

We rolled out of the rink and sat in the booth with Lei, the smell of fresh warm fries and pizza filling my nose. I took my roller skates off and sat in the booth around the table, and Nova sat next to me with Lei across from us.

"Nova this is Lei"

"Hi!" She smiled, and Lei smiled back.

"Thanks for paying for the food," I said, shoving some fries in my mouth.

"Anytime. So Nova, you live around here?" She asked.

"Yeah I go to the local high school, I've lived here all my life." She said. I moved my plate of fries in between us for us to share, and she took one smiling.

"What about you guys?" She turned to me, waiting for an answer.

"We're staying with my aunt for the summer, we live in Indiana but we came here to enjoy our last summer before our senior year."

"Oh cool! I don't have many friends here, well I did. But they all ditched me to be with the popular people." She rolled her eyes, and I felt bad.

"But it's okay, I never needed them anyways. I've got myself!" She laughed a bit, and I smiled.

"Hey are you busy tonight?" Lei asked, and Nova shook her head.

"You should come over then, we could have a sleepover or something and my aunt could pick us up." I said.

"Sounds great!" She smiled in agreement.