Part 19

men killed with swords.

their pointy blades compared nothing to how the women took down their enemies.

women killed with poison and secrets.

or maybe it's the other way around.

there was only two life lessons i learned while in the queens court. be careful who you say things to and never drink the wine unless they are drinking from the same bottle.

i learned many lessons about how to act, how to talk, how to dance. but never, ever anything like those two lessons. reputations were burned in mere moments just because someone said something to the wrong person.

"i don't understand! everything is not in the right order." anne and i shuffled around the table, looking for something to make it all right.

we had heard something upon our arrival at court. something that would make our lives just so much easier, but there was nothing to prove it.

you can not just kill a man without cause.

the thought kept repeating in my head.

"arsenic." i would put it into a small glass of wine, just mention i could not drink until i conceived. but then i would have to wait for him to die. smear his blood all over my hands and bodice and scream for help. "that's what i need."

this wasn't my first go-round.

you may think me crazy. but i'm not. we've all killed someone. wether we know it or not. our words, our illnesses, our food. it's all killed at least one member of society. even the highest of priests, have killed someone. especially the ones closest to the lord himself. nobody gets anywhere just by sitting still and following the rules.

benedict had known nothing. he has become friends with some of the other lords in the court. he had not met the queen though, not until tonight. every time i brought it up he would always get a glisten of sweat in his hands, his eyes would widen, run his hands through his chestnut hair; he wanted to impress her, for me. and i thought that was the most beautiful thing in the world.

"he left the palace last night, seen riding into town. but was back at court for breakfast— mr. bridgerton." anne started but was interrupted by my husband and his new friends.

i tried to shove the papers as well as i could into a neat stack.

sorry guys! i've been so busy. i'm so sorry. anyways thank you for almost 1,000 reads! this is crazy. i never thought it would get this big. you guys are amazing! it's been around 2-3 months of writing this books and i love it.

thank you 💗