5) with an E

Jo Wilson pov.

Late. Yep exactly what I needed today. I shouldn't of stayed at the bar with Meredith, Link, and Deluca. I should of left after the first drink or done what Connor did. Not show up at all. I wasn't drunk or hangover or anything. I just slept in. Which is utterly awful, because today was another day I pick up Levi. I grabbed my phone, just as I expected I had ten calls from him. There was one that kind of concerned me.

Levi: nevermind, I guess your not going to work today. Dr. Hale said he could get me.

How did he even get Connor's number? Did he give his number around to everyone? Why do I even care I need to get to work.

Entering the parking lot I noticed Link, Meredith, Deluca cars, and Connor's Motorcycle. So all the people I talked to last night we're able to make it while I was late. Just great. I went running the building. Connor and Meredith were talking at the nurse. I only heard a little of what they said. "That sounds like a great idea Mer." Connor said, taking to Mer like they were old friend's. When was he on nickname basis. That took me forever, but I guess I was Alex's girlfriend. Connor doesn't want anything from anybody.

He must of noticed me, cause he stopped the conversation. "Well if isn't Jo without an E. Didn't think I was going to see you today." He joked. Jo with an E... I knew I'd regret saying that. "Well I didn't think I'd see you either, Dr. Hale." I tried to think up some dumb nickname, but came up with nothing. It must've not been that terrible since he laughed. "Hey so I was thinking, I'm free tonight. Maybe I can take Jo without an E to Joe with an E." Wow now I get why the nurses swoon over him.

"As great as that sounds I have so much work to make up, what about tomorrow." I suggested. Tomorrow was my day off, so I was hoping he'd say yes. Now that Alex is gone I typically have nothing to do. He thinks for a second and laughs. "I'll see what I can do... Jo without an E." With that he walked away.

Meredith than decides to make her presence known. "what was that?' she asked, her gaze daring me to lie to her. "That? He's just being nice." I waved off, trying to get myself prepared for today's shift. "Being nice? Being nice is if he opened the door for you, he wants sex. Or worse a girlfriend."  Amelia said, out of nowhere. I didn't even realize she was standing there. I rolled my eyes. "As weird as Amelia said that, she is right. Kind of." Meredith said, grabbing some chart that was lying there. Great. First Link now Meredith and Amelia. I just met the guy, we're not going to have some kind of June wedding.

"I think you guys are reading too much into this." I said, leaning against the nurses station. "Maybe. Or maybe you should give McHottie a try." Amelia said, winking. McHottie? Has she lost her mind? "I think that needs work." Mer said, cringing at the use of hottie. Amelia rolled her eyes and the two got into a fight over what they should call Connor. They litteraly fight like sisters.

The rest of the day sucked. General just doesn't have the spark that it used to. It doesn't have that excitement that kept me going. I feel like, I have to drag myself to work everyday now. Losing patient after patient, but what could I do. It wasn't like I could change careers or anything.

Connor Hale Pov

"What will Mr. Cow do while I'm in surgery." Kelsey, my patient. She was a young girl, who carries this pink cow. I've never seen her without. "Well he'll be in here, guarding this room making sure your safe." I said, hoping the little girl would take it. The little girl clapped her hand and hugged the little pink cow. "Oh how sweet!" Yeah, she believed it. Kids do and say the strangest things, but that's what I love about this job. It's what brings me joy.

It was finally time for my lunch Alyssa was waiting in the cafeteria with Ellie. This was a thing that they did almost everyday now. Alyssa was talking about how much Ellie missed me, so this was our solution. "Hey, Ellie Belly." I said, as I ruffled my daughter's hair. She smiled at me and I noticed something was off about her smile. Than I saw it, she was missing a tooth. "Well, looks like someone is getting a visit from the tooth fairy." I joked.

My daughter didn't believe in the tooth fairy, people that sneak in houses freak her out quite a bit. She is terrified of Santa Claus. "No, tooth fairy. That's gross." Well she's not wrong. A fairy that collects teeth. Yeah I guess I can get where that's not every kids cup of tea. Alyssa handed Ellie five dollars and said. "oh look, what the tooth fairy gave you." Alyssa was always good with Ellie. She loves her like she would love her own child.

Alyssa was the sister I was closest with. Don't get me wrong I love Leah and Tessa, but everyone has to have a favorite sibling, right?

After my lunch I noticed Jo standing by the nurses station again. This time she didn't have the happy look she had this morning, so I decided to go and talk to her. "Well Jo, whatcha doing?" I asked, going to stand next to her. Jo took a deep breath before she finally spoke. "Just taking a quick breather. You know been kind of hard with how many patients dying lately." I've heard there has been some tragic accidents lately. I know what it's like losing a patient, that you've tried so hard to have.

Sometimes when I do things I don't think. I just do, this was one of things. "Well tomorrow why don't you spend some time in peds, get your mind off things. Kids are great." Jo looked up from the ground, this time a slight smile present. "I think I'd like that." That made me way more happier than it should of.