Chapter 3: Unexpected Battle

Kahei sits patiently in the cafe. The aroma of bitter coffee and fresh bread floats in the air. The waiter's chair squeaks as she spins around, waiting for the next customer. Paintings cover the flaky, cream walls, and the chairs surrounding her are empty, as usual. Kahei waits for everyone to show.

Haseul shows first. 20 minutes early.

Yerim, Heejin, Jungeun, and Chaewon show up next.

And of course, Hyunjin and Sooyoung arrive 15 minutes late.

Heejin looks a lot happier today.

They order their drinks. Haseul and Kahei argue about who is going to pay. Kahei wins.

Kahei asks, "So, how do you like the club so far?"

"It's great!" Heejin answers, with a bright smile on her face.

"I'm glad you're enjoying it."

"I'm glad too. To be honest, no one has really joined this club in a long time," Haseul states.

Kahei smiles. She always smiles when she sees Haseul. Haseul could be just talking or walking down the street, and Kahei will always smile. Haseul's presence is just smile-worthy.

"Really? I love this club."

"That's what they all say before they meet Jungeun," Sooyoung says.

"Dude. Why is it always me?" Jungeun questions.

Sooyoung shrugs, "I don't know. Maybe it's beca-"

The doors of the cafe slam open.

5 people in black suits stand before them.

. . .

What is happening? Yerim wonders to herself.

Most of the time, you wouldn't bother checking the people that walked in, but these people are different. They all wear black masks and jackets as if they are wearing army uniforms.

They look around, immediately locking their eyes on Yerim and the others.

One of the people walks up to her.

The person winds up her arm and before Yerim could think, she ducks, missing a punch by just inches.

"What are you doing?" Yerim asks.

Another person lays their eyes on Heejin.

"Heejin look out!" Yerim screams.

Heejin pulls herself to the side, watching the kick impact the air, exactly where she was.

"What is happening?" Chaewon asks, trembling.

"Someone call 911!" Jungeun shouts.

Another punch is thrown at Yerim.

Not just a normal punch.

Electric sparks buzz furiously from the person's fist.

What? What is that?

The punch hits her directly in her stomach. A shockwave of energy ripples through her. It was like the time when she accidentally electrified herself by yanking a cord out of an outlet too hard.

But worse.

So much worse.

She falls back, agony swirling in her stomach. She gasps in pain.

The person runs up to Yerim. He holds up his hands, energy creating in his palms.

He gets knocked back.