Chapter 19: Before

Author Note:

Buckle in for the long chapter ahead!

. . .

Oct 5, 2016

The girl made her way through the bustling hallway, filled with couples making out, the laid-back fourth years, and the clueless first years.

She was part of that last category. It was her first year at Eleversity, the most prestigious university for elemental manipulators.

Of course, on the first day, she had no idea where to go.

She glanced at a teacher patrolling the hallways and made her way towards him.

"Hi, excuse me," she said in her deep voice. "Do you know where the wind manipulation introductory course is?"

"Yeah, just take a left, and then a right, and then go straight past those lockers, then down the staircase, and the class would be right on your left."

"Thank you."

She actually didn't find that helpful, but she didn't want to be rude. She turned around and just sighed, waiting for the long day ahead.

. . .

Nov 17, 2016

The girl slumped over her bed. Her hand reached out for her glistening alarm clock and focused her blurry vision on the time. 7:43am.

She jolted up and quickly rushed out of her blanket. She flinged on her backpack, ran down the stairs, grabbed a piece of bread, and slammed out the door.

She jumped on her yellow bike and pushed down on the pedal, feeling the momentum of the bike push her forward. She tightened her grip around the handlebars and started pedaling toward the school, which was only a few blocks away. With the bread in her mouth, she biked for about five minutes before reaching the entrance, throwing her bike on the ground.

She ran through the door.

"I'm here!" she said, exhausted.

The girls at the front of the classroom chuckled quietly to themselves.

"You may be seated," the teacher said, in a monotone voice.

The girl, still panting, took a seat near a brown-haired girl.

She asked the girl, "What's the lesson today?"

"The science behind reincarnation. It's really interesting!" she exclaimed.

The girl sighed internally, knowing how boring the lesson would be. But she didn't express it out loud because of how excitedly cute the brown-haired girl was.

. . .

Dec 15, 2016

The girl pushed her glasses up her nose and continued clicking on her typewriter. Her thin eyes narrowed at the page. A loud noise from the radio made her flinch.

"Another savior from our elemental community! These local fire manipulators came in and prevented a wildfire from going any further. These brilliant heroes have saved hundreds of lives with this unselfish act. Handing the microphone to one of these fire manipulators..."