Chapter 10: The Plan

They fall asleep quickly that night.

Actually, just most of them.

Chaewon is wide awake, her eyes studying the bark tiles on the ceiling.

Heejin has lost her memory. After about ten minutes of discussion, they figure out that she had only lost a few months worth of memories.

But she has forgotten everything that she did with them.

"You good?" A voice whispers.

Chaewon turns to her side, finding herself staring at Hyeju. She also gazes at the ceiling.

"I just want to go back to our perfect life," Chaewon whispers.

Hyeju turns to her.

"There is no 'perfect' though."

"What do you mean?"

"Perfect doesn't exist. That's what I mean. Every person is..." Hyeju trails off. "imperfect."

Chaewon looks back up and closes her eyes, fatigue slowly settling in, "That doesn't make sense."

Hyeju whispers, "If people were perfect, everyone would be the same. But thank god that isn't the case. I wouldn't want a thousand Chaewons running around this place."

"Yah," Chaewon chuckles. "A thousand Hyejus doesn't sound pleasant either."

"That's what I'm saying. No one is the same, so that means everyone is imperfect. Everyone is different and unique. That's what makes life interesting."

Chaewon hears rustling.

"Alright, enough moral lessons here. Good night loser," Hyeju whispers.

Chaewon whispers slowly and softly, "Hope you have the worst nightmares of your life. Good nigh..."

She doesn't even finish the last word before she trails off into sleep.

. . .

"Get up!" Haseul yells.

Jiwoo is wide awake, already having gone accustomed to the sleep schedule.

Everyone starts entering the living room, but Jiwoo has her eyes fixed on Sooyoung, with her messy hair and beautiful skin.

"Alright, someone get me a pencil," Haseul says.

Sooyoung hands her a half-beaten down pencil, the eraser gone and tip as blunt as a pillow.

Jiwoo finds Sooyoung to be so beautiful. Her ash brown hair cascading down her back, her dreamy eyes, and her elegant face without makeup.

She gets brought back in the moment.

"Okay, um, guess that'll do," Haseul says, taking the pencil. "You know what we are going to do?"

Hyunjin responds with a straight face, "Draw a little teddy bear, make it come to life, tell it to beat the shit out of our psychopath attackers, then live happily ever after." She then makes an exaggerated smile.

"No, we're gonna make a plan. So far, we have gone nowhere, just defending ourselves. They made some moves, time for us to make some moves," Haseul says.

"Who is this 'they'?" Heejin asks.

Jiwoo realizes. They are going to have to retell everything to Heejin.

She prays that one day she will remember.

In a big font, Haseul writes "Operation High"

"I'm not quite sure either Heejin. Alright everyone, tell me some info," Haseul says.