Chapter 16: Bleeding Out

Heejin grunts as she pushes the agent off her shoulder. She deals one more blow to his stomach before scanning the area for the others.

Where are they?

She sways her hand, pushing away the light gray gas.

The gas never affected her. Probably because of her wind manipulation.

She hears footsteps and immediately starts sprinting to her right.

It just occurs to her that the alarm has stopped ringing. Maybe she hadn't noticed because she was too distracted trying to untangle herself from an agent. But it's to her relief, as her eardrums get a break from the screeching ring in the background.

She reaches a door, and carefully pries it open.

A girl with long black hair crouches against a wall.

Hyunjin!

She runs over to her.

Given the circumstances, it's foolish to be admiring someone else's beauty, but Heejin can't really help it. The scratches on Hyunjin's face somehow don't impede her goddess facial features.

"Oh my goodness Hyunjin! I've been looking everywhere to just see anybody," Heejin says.

"Alright, come," Hyunjin almost yells. She shoves Heejin's arm into another room.

This place is like a maze with the number of rooms there are

"What was that for?"

"Agents are still patrolling," Hyunjin lets out a heavy breath, rage evident in her eyes.

Heejin asks, "Where are the others?"

Hyunjin responds with a shrug. She turns around.

"She's a fucking bastard," Heejin hears Hyunjin mutter under her breath.

Who is?

Heejin decides to not press it further. She takes a step closer and puts her hand on her shoulder.

She says comfortingly, "Don't worry. We'll find them."

She realizes her earpiece is still intact. Her hand reaches for it and presses it.

"Everyone okay?"

No one answers right away, but eventually, she hears a few static flickers, and then a response.

"I'm good. Where are you guys?" a voice asks.

Heejin recognizes it immediately.

Yerim

"We're coming," Hyunjin responds.

. . .

Yerim walks quietly, hugging herself against the wall.

These rooms are bigger

She hears several voices and scrambles to get behind a box. Keeping her back pressed against the wall, she lifts her hand, hoping to see something. But, no flames arise nor dance on it.

Come on! Work with me fire!

The voices eventually become booming shouts. Yerim guesses there are about 10 of them.

"Aisle 3 clear!"

"Move you fucking son of a bitch!"

"Shut up!"

Yerim takes a shaky breath, preparing herself. She bends her knees and curls her fingers just slightly.

A shoe. She pushes herself forward and grasps the figure's arm. Using all her strength, she pulls the arm to the floor.